We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diamond Head

Clarkston
Level Contributor
78 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Diamond Head

This is my 1st trip to Hawaii. We will be in Oahu for 4 nights the end of Feb. 2014. We will not be renting a car. We are staying in Waikiki. Our flight arrives around 11pm and the next day we don't have anything planned but I would love to hike Diamond Head. Will it be too hot to do that in the afternoon? I think we could just take a taxi there??? I really have only 3 days and we are taking an all day circle island tour with Pearl Harbor one day and I would like to hike Diamond Head and snorkel Hanauma Bay. I'm not sure I could do both the 2nd day. What do you suggest?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,370 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diamond Head

It is certainly more desirable to hike in the mornings, but Honolulu is seldom "too hot" for anything, it is a temperate zone where it is seldom too hot nor too cold. The average daily highs for Feb-Mar are in the low 80's.

weather.com/weather/…USHI0026

Clarkston
Level Contributor
78 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diamond Head

I guess I'm trying to figure out what to do without overbooking ourselves. We will be flying in late and might not get up too early the 1st day and will want to see the beach and walk Waikiki.....

The 2nd day we are taking a circle island/Pearl Harbor tour

The 3rd morning we could hike Diamond Head and maybe do a sunset catamaran boat tour? I guess I would also like to do Hanauma Bay and I can't fit it in..... We will be going to Maui for a week and I will snorkel Napili Bay, Molokini crater etc. Will I be missing much if I don't do Hanauma Bay? How crowded is it?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diamond Head

I like the idea of doing Diamond Head on your day 3, it really is a nice hike to do to be able to see the sunrise and it was hot coming down for us so not sure how it would be to hike during the middle of the day. We were also there in Feb

How long is your flight? You might have alot of jetlag and if you were like us we were waking up at 2 am each morning for several days till our clocks got adjusted to the 6 hour time difference from the East Coast!

We stayed in Oahu for 3 days before taking the Pride of America cruise but we rented a car and drove many places, we had plenty of time to do Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, drive around the entire island and also dirve inland. We stayed on the beach in the Aston Circle so had easy walking access to the beach. Were not big shoppers but did walk the strip one night for dinner.

Really enjoyed driving the island and it was very easy so you might want to consider that, it will make it easier for you to see all the things you want to see!

I had prebought online maps from frankomaps.com, they were a huge help. They are sold everywhere in Hawaii but we liked having them before hand to plan out our time!

But do stop stressing about seeing it all as it is impossible, so relax and pick the few important things and if you have extra time then go see something else on your list! We found with the car we were able to see alot of stuff so it was worth that extra cost to us

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diamond Head

do the hike and easy fit in a sunset boat tour. I did it for fun and fitness and just to check it out. kind of to many people doing this hike but easily accommodates all hikers. I was dropped off and did a taxi back to Waikiki for a silly price between 8 to 11 dollars no meter. there are taxi's waiting for suckers like me in the parking lot, maybe it was fare but really didn't care at the time. lalala

the hike about 30 minutes up and 15 minutes down. a small bottle water will do u good unless sharing. I took the big bottle and never needed that much. view worth it and you get to burn some of them vacation calories off. I did my journey at after 12 and it wasn't bad. beach or pool welcoming you after. there is a bus that goes here so maybe ask ur hotel, but Taxi is fine if u need to save time it's close by.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,054 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diamond Head

Since you are going to Maui, skip Hanauma Bay for snorkeling. It's a beautiful bay but the snorkeling on Maui is so much better. In February, you may find the surf high at Napili Bay on Maui. If that is the case, your best bet would be to snorkel in south Maui. Ulua Beach in Wailea or Maluaka in Makena. You could also check conditions at Kahekili Beach Park (aka airport beach).

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diamond Head

Yeah, if you're going to Maui, then I would skip Hanauma Bay. Unless you go EARLY in the morning, Hanauma Bay is pretty crowded!

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Diamond Head

Sending you a message.

Honolulu, Hawaii
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diamond Head

We just hiked Diamond Head today. We walked from the Outrigger On The Beach, around the west side of Diamond Head, up to the top, then came down and continued north, clockwise around, then back to the a hotel. In total we walked 15.5 kms in just on 3 hours. It was hot, but not too hot.

Dave

9. Re: Diamond Head

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2013, 15:35
10. Re: Diamond Head

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 05:18