We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NCL Cruise Terminal Info Needed For Mobility Issues

Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
NCL Cruise Terminal Info Needed For Mobility Issues

I will be taking the cruise out oh Honolulu and was wondering if anyone could tell mr about the terminal itself. I have trouble with long distance walking and stairs/inclines. Will I have trouble in the terminal and getting on the ship? I've been in some terminals that you have to walk a ways to the ship and then walk a good way on an inclined wrap around entryway.

I would greatly appreciate anything you could tell me.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NCL Cruise Terminal Info Needed For Mobility Issues

On the right side of this page there is a Top Question for Travelers with Disabilities. It is, however, lacking in info for Hawaii cruises. But you may find other info that may help you during your trip.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28932-c155411/Hawaii…

You can also try:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/

boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

I don't know if you'll find any specific info for the ports used on Hawaii cruises.

You can also contact NCL (I am assuming you are going on NCL Pride of America):

http://www.ncl.com/

You can also ask them about any tours/activities that are accessible for those with disabilities.

Also Google:

Pride of America excursions for those with disabilities

Pride of America ADA

This link has some reviews:

…cruisecritic.com/archive/…t-1486809.html

On a side note: If you do find information prior to or during your trip that may help future travelers with disabilities, I would be more than happy to add the info to the TripAdvisor Travelers with Disabilities page.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NCL Cruise Terminal Info Needed For Mobility Issues

Thank you so much! I'll let you know what I find out.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NCL Cruise Terminal Info Needed For Mobility Issues

I don't recall the cruise terminal in Honolulu being larger or more difficult to get around than other terminals, such as Miami, San Juan, etc. The terminal is not that large. In fact, it is similar in size to San Juan. We walked around the downtown area after checking in. The terminal is near some sites worth seeing.

I highly recommend arriving in Hawaii a few days prior to your cruise to 1) relax and enjoy the island and 2) in case there is a delay with your flight. There were several people on our cruise who had difficulties with their flights.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NCL Cruise Terminal Info Needed For Mobility Issues

Thank you for your info. We are arriving early for that exact reason.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NCL Cruise Terminal Info Needed For Mobility Issues

You should also check out Cruise critic, tons of info there about the ship and all ports of call

Have a great time! We loved this cruise

Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NCL Cruise Terminal Info Needed For Mobility Issues

I took an NCL cruise of Hawaii in November 2013 and this is what I know about the Honolulu cruise terminal. For one, get there as soon as you can board, because starting around 7:30 pm the baggage handlers go home so if you get there after that, you will have to get your own bags into the terminal. Tho not a big distance, it is a little tough if you have a disability.

Now, the terminal. It isn't as large as others I've been in and they do have some seating so at least you can rest or catch your breath. When you check in you just tell them that you need a wheelchair and they will call for one. They saw I was using a cruch and asked if I needed one before I could ask. They took me all the way to my cabin. Once on board you can rent a wheelchair or a scooter. I know it made my cruise SO much better.

I just want add something hoping someone is enlightened. A mobility issue is not only someone in a wheelchair, on crutches, etc. someone with mobility issues may not have something outwardly wrong. I have a lung disease so I cannot walk even a city block. I know I may look completely fine to you, but I have a genuine issue. Just food for thought.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NCL Cruise Terminal Info Needed For Mobility Issues

Just a note to all that this is a follow-up by the OP to an old post.

8. Re: NCL Cruise Terminal Info Needed For Mobility Issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:16