We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

Hi, My husband and I are going back to Oahu early next year and I'm wondering do I book our accommodation, flights and car hire from a travel agent in Australia again or can I book via a travel agent in Oahu? Has anyone done this? Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

I'd check with Australia because usually packages will offer a discount vs. booking everything separately, especially if you plan to stay in hotels. Compare the price of booking flights + accommodation vs. flights + accommodation + car.

The nice thing about booking in Australia is you pay in Australian dollars, and will have everything ready to go when you travel. You can book in Oahu as well. I just find that getting in touch overseas takes longer than with a local travel agent. If you are planning to book upon arrival, you will likely pay higher prices.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

thanks for the feedback. will take it on board. cheers

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

You can easily book your flights online yourself via the Hawaiian Airlines, Jetstar or Qantas websites and then select your hotel and book on their website or use a reputable third party site like expedia, hotelclub or booking.com.

For car hire take a look at driveaway.com.au, vroom, vroom, vroom.com.au and tripwheels.com as these companies include the necessary insurances Aussies require when hiring a car overseas. I would not hire a car in Oahu itself as these insurances tend to be very expensive over the counter, rather organise it before you go. You can then pay in Aussie dollars.

I'm not sure it's at all necessary to book a package but if that's what you prefer then I would use expedia.com.au or go and visit a local travel agency who will organise one for you.

sunshine coast qld
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

I have booked flights myself when specials came along. I have chosen a hotel and booked direct. I find sometimes the packages are loaded with extras you may not want. I also found I saved money this way. I do have the advantage of having been there last year so I know where things are. But the first time I went I booked through a travel agent just for accommodation. Hope that helps a bit.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

Aloha,

Check package prices vs booking yourself to see which way saves money.

Happy Planning.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
911 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

We travel to Hawaii annually and have 'done' the bookings every which way. I prefer to book the airline directly when there are two travelling, but every second year when we are 7 or 8 it does take forever and now book that year through a travel agent. Always, absolutely always book the hotel myself - and just go to Dollar cars to book a car when we arrive.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

I have often wondered why there seems to be a good number of visitors from Oz...and the UK too for that matter that tend to utilize Travel agents rather than book things independently through VRBO, the Airlines directly and car companies themselves.

I understand the car hires are wrapped in with the insurance coverages....but for the others....is it to do with having a non N American credit card?

So many folks now both here in Canada and the US...book their own travels from start to finish...and have done so for the past 10 yrs or so. personally I haven't used a travel agent in close to 20 yrs.

Just curious as to why the Aussies & Brits still rely heavily on travel agents?

Seeking clarification.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

I've noticed that as well Wanderlust-For-2. Many of the folks I spoke with book with travel agents. I'm guessing maybe they get a better deal with them?

Canberra
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

I always do my research between booking myself and using an agent, most if the time I have got a much cheaper deal with an agent. We are travelling to Hawaii mid November and got a great deal with My Hawaii - check them out.

Mudgeeraba...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: book to Oahu from Australia or use an hawaiian agency

I found every thing on line, flights and accommodation, printed it out and took it to my travel agent and we went over it and then she booked it for me. Just a confidence thing having not been out of Australia before.