We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

I am looking to find a resort for my family of four in Waikiki that won't break the bank. We're going in early July for a week, so lots of time to plan, but starting to research now.

I already have my eye on the Hilton Hawaiian Village (like that its less busier area of Waikiki but still close to some shopping/restaurants, nice little lagoon, lots of pools, you get leis at check-in, Friday night fireworks) but a room with two double beds looks rather small, and the larger rooms are quite pricey.

Here's what we're looking for:

1. Lots of selections of pools/pools with waterslides/activities (kids are 8 and 10)

2. Walking distance to beach or beachfront

3. Clean and modern, with comfy beds (two queens rather than two doubles preferred).

4. Suites/Kitchenette is a plus - but not required (looked at Embassy Suites, but with only one pool, that doesn't really fit the bill). Larger beds are better.

5. Safe and quiet area (well, as safe and quiet as you can get in Waikiki beach).

6. Would prefer Hilton, SPG, Marriott, BW or HI hotels (as I belong to all of those programs).

I do not want to stay at a condo. My family likes the resort style vacation, with lots of pre-planned activities and amenities.

Thanks for any advice!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

What do you consider affordable? Give us a nightly budget what you and I consider affordable could be miles apart.

I think the problem is going to be is that your wants are more likely to be found at a high end i.e. expensive resort.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,351 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

The HHV sounds perfect for you, but be prepared for crowds. It's a very, very busy resort. And please note that resorts aren't quite what you may expect. If you want "lots of pre-planned activities and amenities," you may be disappointed.

Hawaii vacations are better when you do your own thing. Rent a car at least for two days to explore (we rent for the entire vacation as we are out exploring, hiking, enjoying other beaches, gardens, etc.). Check the top of this page, Things to Do and read everything on the right hand side of this page and you will get a pretty good overview of Oahu and what to see and do.

On Waikiki's beaches, you can rent surfboards, boogie boards, stand up paddle boards, arrange an outrigger canoe ride, take surf lessons, etc., but those aren't arranged by the hotel (well, maybe the Hilton rents equipment for the lagoon), you go up to the vendor on the beach.

A couple of good books to help with planning are Oahu Revealed by Andrew Doughty and Driving and Discovering Hawaii: Oahu, Honolulu, and Waikiki by Richard Sullivan.

Happy planning!

All parts of Waikiki are generally considered safe, so you have no worries if you plan to stay there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

I think $300 max a night (all in) would be a good budget - it'll keep the hotel cost at around $2000 for the week.

Yes, I've noticed that Hawaii vacations tend to be more DIY, rather than resort-run. I've always wondered why that is. I guess because there are so many condos?

Thanks for the book suggestions!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

While I'm not intimately familiar with the kids' programs, I know the HHV does have lots of activities for kids. They also have the fancy pools with waterslides your family wants. Since you can't have everything in life, and since it seems you did find rooms that, while small, fit your budget, I'd just cozy up in a standard room (and I've never been in a room there that was THAT small), and enjoy the resort.

And not any promises, but our room has gone down $100 per night since we first booked. Keep checking until your departure.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,208 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

HHV is the only resort in Waikik that comes anywhere close to what you are asking for. Most of the hotels are just that... hotels, I don't think any except HHV have multiple pools, etc.

Everywhere is "safe", everywhere in Waikiki is easy "walking distance to the beach".

suze

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

Unfortunately July and it sounds like you might be planning on the week of the 4th of July is a very busy time for families to travel to Hawaii so you may have to settle for a small room at HHV or shell out more for a larger size suite.

It does seem to have all the bells and whistles you want.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

Actually, I think the renovated pools at the Sheraton Waikiki have the slides, etc., but still not to the extent of the HHV.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,208 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

Is there more than one pool at the Sheraton? I thougth there was just that new infinity one that overlooks the beach with the one waterslide?

suze

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

That infinity pool is adults only. I didn't realize that infinity pool had a slide. I thought it was just a serene infinity pool. There is another one on the Diamond Head side of the property that is family friendly with waterfalls, etc., (not sure slides but maybe) that they share with the Royal Hawaiian.

sheraton-waikiki.com/property/…

This might help.

Edited: 05 October 2013, 01:20
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,896 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable Resort by the Beach in Waikiki?

Other than "suites/kitchenette" (which you won't get for $300 at HHV) and "quiet area", the HHV is the only place that has the other things you are asking for.

The Sheraton only has one pool that kids can use. The other pool is adults only.

The HHV is not quiet itself and the area is not quiet. All the traffic that comes into Waikiki usually comes in off Ala Moana Blvd, right in front of the HHV.

I am not sure what you mean by "'I've noticed that Hawaii vacations tend to be more DIY, rather than resort-run", but if you are talking about all inclusive type resorts, there really are not a lot in the U.S. any more.