We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

Flying out of Australia tonight and have just checked the weather update on hawaiiweathertoday.com and they're warning about flash flooding??

We are staying in waikiki can anyone tell me what the current weather is like and if we should prepare for a raining 7 days in hawaii. We are praying for sun!! Any advice welcome

Wetaskiwin, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

I am in Waikiki right now and everything is fine. We've had a rain shower yesterday and this afternoon but nothing to really write home (or post on TripAdvisor) about. There may be some problems inland that I don't know about but we tourists are perfectly safe.

Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

Thank you! That provides some relief.

Has the sun been out over the last couple of days or is it generally cloudy? We are hoping to escape the Australian weather for hot sunny days on waikiki beach

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

The mornings have started out pretty nice and then by evening the sky has been black. RIght now as I look out my window at 6pm, the sky is partially cloudy, but I can see blue :)

Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

Thank you so much! We are at melbourne airport getting ready to board this reply has definitely made us excited all over again :)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

We begin checking the forecasts/crossing our fingers a week ahead of arrival...with increasing frequency as "A Day" approaches. Here's one of several fairly reliable sources:

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

If you are, as are we, interested in visual depictions of what's going on, this site has enough to keep most amateurs (hopefully) happy:

http://weather.hawaii.edu/

No matter what the outlook, we alway pack ponchos; the small extra cost for one with an extended hood & extra sleeve/body length is a worthy investment.

I bought ours here ( http://www.beltoutlet.com/adpobyto.html ), but was at our airport yesterday and saw them at one of the shops. If available in high & dry Albuquerque, I imagine you will be able to find them at HNL.

Good luck!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,393 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

You are either on your way or here by now. It's been a mixed bag depending where on island you are at the time. Luckily, Waikiki has been spared the brunt of these storms. We've had flooding, lightening, a couple of funnel clouds and a water spout. Mostly confined to the interior sections of the island, on the west side and some on the windward side.

The whole state as of now is under a Flash Flood Watch until 6:00pm, which means conditions will be favorable for some late morning, afternoon rain and thunderstorms.

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

Really hope these storms disappear soon. Im going to oahu next week and have been so excited about leaving the rain here in england behind and enjoying some sunshine for a change!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

Aloha,

OK in Waikiki today. It's way to early to predict about next week, though.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

We arrived yesterday to extremely heavy downpours at 12-2pm luckily it all cleared up afterwards. They said the same would happen today but we only had a slight drizzle at 3pm here at Aulani.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flash flooding watch???? Please help!

Where? Airport, Ko Ollina, in between?