We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

Does anyone have a recommendation on which one my husband and I should go to? I know the one in Waikiki is the first Roy's, but besides that, which location has the better quality food?

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

StarRiDust, the original Roy's is at the Hawaii Kai location. There is no question other than for me to say that the original Roy's is my favorite. Roy's at Ko'Olina is at the Ko'Olina Golf Resort. It over looks the finishing hole on the 18th Green.

Roy's Waikiki is good for people watching on the outside cocktail tables. It was okay for pupus and drinks, but, very interesting watch people go by.

Where are you staying? Hawaii Kai is closer by approx. 20 miles. If you are driving, you get a better look drivng through the lavish rich Kahala district, then, to Roy's Hawaii Kai. If you are lucky, maybe, a sunset also awaits you.

Good luck.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,841 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

I'm hoping to go to the original on my next visit, but we've been to Roy's on each Hawaiian island and have been quite happy with any of them! However, I didn't like sitting outside at the Waikiki location. There was too much noise from large hotel garages - beep, beep, beep and crashing from recycling bins, and that annoying screech of tires going round and round in the garage. It just felt wrong to be eating such good food while listening to that. Oh, the tour buses, too, were awful. Not sure if they use natural gas now, but in 2010, they were diesel. There's a smell I can do without! Inside was vibrant and entertaining; I felt like I was a poor waif looking in at the rich and happy revelers!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,392 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

The original Roy's in Hawaii Kai is far and away the best on Oahu and the best in the chain I've been to and I've probably been to 12 or 15 of them. I don't know if I'd go all the way to Hawaii Kai from Ko'Olina if that is where you are staying, but if you had plans to be on that side of Diamond Head it is where I would go.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

We are staying at Ko Olina and had been to the Roy's there and we loved it. I had read on another forum thread that some think the original Roy's isn't very good....

Distance isn't a problem for us bc we will be going to Waikiki during our visit to the island. :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,392 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

To repeat, the original Roy's is not in Waikiki, it is in Hawaii Kai, 11 or 12 miles "Diamond Head" of Waikiki out towards Koko Head crater.

If someone thinks the Roy's Waikiki is the original and is not as good as others, I know they are wrong on one count and believe they are wrong on the other.

You might check on Chowhound as well.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 01:12
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

I'm very boring. I admit it. I had been to 3 different (more than once each) mainland Roy's (Dallas (Plano), Orlando, and Las Vegas). Found something I loved at the first one, and ordered it every single time. The fish trio. The seared ahi, the salmon, and the butterfish (escolar?).

So we go to Honolulu and go to Roy's Waikiki. No trio. Ordered something which was actually quite Western in preparation (not the same tastes at all) and I didn't care for it at all. Combine that with being seated at the most teenytiny booth you've ever seen (I'm not an overly large person but I was crammed in there) and I did not care for our one and only Hawaii experience at all.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

Scottca075: O!!!! Thank you so much for my over sight. Got it! OK then, I really got to re-think this over.

So I guess the Hawaii Kai is better than Ko Olina... it seems like...

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

There are many Roy's all over the country, quite a few not far from Irvine... Don't get me wrong, I like Roy's, but if I have the option to eat there close to where I live, I'd try some others that are not available near me.

Why not try Alan Wong's? The original one is on King Street not far from Waikiki.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

We actually do go to the one close to Irvine. We went to the one in Ko Olina on our honeymoon. It's kind of our goal to eat at all the Hawaii Roy's.

We have already booked Alan Wong. ^^

10. Re: Roy's Waikiki vs Ko Olina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 06:19