We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day to drive around the island

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
1 day to drive around the island

6 of us (all adults) will be visiting mid November, most first timers to Oahu. we have 3 full days and rented a mini van for one day to drive around the island. staying at Sheraton Waikiki. from reading posts on here, it sounds like some drive right up to north shore via 99, some go around through 83 and do the bigger circle. i'd like to know how long it would take for either route, including stops along the way.

basically looking for the best route for the day.

thanks!

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day to drive around the island

just found out we will be there during the "triple crown of surfing" on the north shore, which runs from 11/12 to 12/20. does that mean traffic will be really bad to get to the north shore? it will be cool to see surfers but will we be able to get there?

2. Re: 1 day to drive around the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 October 2013, 02:05
Edited: 19 October 2013, 02:05
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day to drive around the island

In the upper right of this page you will see a list of Top Questions. The 6th one down is Driving Tours on Oahu. It sets out the different options along with the approximate times and directions.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day to drive around the island

Those are holding dates for the competition. You won't know until the morning of whether they will be surfing that day or not.

When we take our visitors on a north shore drive we start by going east on the H1 to the blowhole and on up north from there. Most of the drive is along the water. If you go H1, H2 then 99 you will miss this very scenic drive. We usually leave before 8:00am go all the way around and leave the Haleiwa area by late afternoon and are back near Waikiki for a nice sunset dinner. We come back on the 99.

If you want a shorter scenic route, take the H3 over the mountains and then head north from there.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day to drive around the island

As others have said, read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, maps, websites, etc.

You ought to rent the minivan the entire three days. You will be able to spend some quality time at beaches & attractions instead of just a quick stop for pics.

Take Driving tours #1, #2 and #3 on separate days. Or at least #1 & #2 on separate days. You can add some of the things on Driving tour #3 to either of them.

You will still have plenty of time for Waikiki, the beach, shopping & restaurants there.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii & the Island of Oahu (also other islands if you are going to any). You can also read them online:

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

or

1-800-GOHAWAII

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day to drive around the island

I have some links for you - these are my reference guides for this at the moment as we are planning to do this next trip.

thelandrumwife.com/2013/01/getting-to-know-h…

thelandrumwife.com/2013/02/diy-mini-oahu-dri…

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day to drive around the island

thanks guys! the "top questions" driving tour section is awesome! most likely we will follow #1 & 2 because that's just what I had in mind. I changed my car rental to 2 days so we don't have to rush. this leaves us one day to just hang out and relax around Waikiki area.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day to drive around the island

Thanks so much for linking to my guide, beedoo747! If you ever have any questions at all about it feel free to email me via my blog email and I'll be happy to help you out! :) (And this obviously goes for anyone else with questions!)

Edited: 21 October 2013, 11:18
Polk City, Iowa
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day to drive around the island

this is so great, thank you so much for this I will be using these guides!!

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day to drive around the island

Interestingly, it is cheaper to rent a minivan for 4 days than just 2 days, difference being pickup and drop off at the airport instead of near our hotel. Apparently there's a premium for a waikiki location. I hear a lot of complaints about traffic in honolulu, but since it's cheaper, it seems easier to just get the car when we fly in and return it on the way out. Then we can feel free to go wherever whenever. With hotel parking, total comes out to be close.