We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Melbourne
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
$105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

Hi all,

I just booked a car for end of feb 2014 for 7 days on alamo.com.

It came to $105 total for 7 days?? Is this right? Is that how cheap car rentals are in the US.

Just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything. Pickup is from Honolulu airport.

California
Level Contributor
622 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

That's an awesome price. If it is from a reputable rental company and you have a confirmation number... I'd say you got a great deal. I just rented a midsize for $118.00 for 8 days and I'm thrilled with the price. Yours seems even better!!!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

If they total on your confirmation shows $105 including taxes, then that is what you will pay. Of course, make sure you don't need to change a time or a day, they will charge whatever the current rate is if you make any adjustments. The prices fluctuate on a regular basis. I have yet to figure out any rhyme or reason.

Our rentals have dropped by over half since I originally booked them, the small SUV went from $650 to $274. At one point I could get a convertible for 14 days for $250 but that is for November. Your price is awesome for February.

Congratulations.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: $105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

Yes I have confirmation number that says estimated total $105. Booked directly on alamo.com, by research I have done looks like they are a big company in the US. I've never heard of them as we don't have them in Australia.

SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
410 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

Careful you need extra/different insurance as you are from Australia.

There have been some recent posts from Aussie's explaining the insurance needed to drive there, read these to make sure you have all you need.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

Alamo is very reputable. I have rented from them in the past and will again this November.

I agree, do some research into rental insurance and also make sure you know that any extras they try to talk you into are optional, especially the fuel option. You can fill up near the airport for a much lower price than rental companies charge.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: $105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

The options I have included are collision damage waiver and extended protection. No idea what these are but if excess is under 5k then my travel insurance will cover that.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,052 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

All I can say is WOW !! That sounds like one heck of a deal. I hate to say it, but check everything carefully. That just sounds too good to be true, but jump on it if it is.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Minnesota
Level Contributor
523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

Congrats, I was all excited and thought I had found a similar deal with Alamo through Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Thought this us to good to be true. Looked over my email confirmation for some hidden fee. Then realized it was only for one and a half days :( It hadn't saved my drop off date when I selected it. Man I was bummed.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
530 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

I would check over your reservation VERY carefully! Eg like the previous poster mentioned, check your dates and times to make sure they are truly entered correctly. Also, most car rental sites ask you where you live, but often put the default in as the US. If this is the case and you change this, it might also impact it significantly.

I could see your possibly getting this rate for JUST the car rental however cannot believe that at this rate, it comes with any sort of coverage.

Normally adding the CDW adds about $12/day to the cost of just the car rental. So that cost alone should be over the cost you were quoted...

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,628 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $105 for 7 days for a Chrysler 200 convertible???

It sounds very low for all the coverage you need insurance wise.

I'd get some other quotes and compare. My rentals on Oahu usually run between $200-300 for a week.

If you do have all the insurance you need and the price is right, when you get to the counter DECLINE everything they offer you (but only if you are sure the insurance is right). They will try to see you all kinds of things at the counter, GPS, more insurance, extra insurance (towing) and maybe even a transponder. You should have to initial in about four different places to refuse everything.