We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Topic
May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

It may be a weird question, but our flight won't land HNL until 10pm at night. We have booked the hotel package from Costco which includes transfer service from/to the hotel. I'd imagine it is ideal to just hop on the shuttle and go to the hotel and sleep, esp. we are traveling with young kids.

But we also booked a rental car from HNL airport (ALAMO). I can centainly set the pickup time to the next day, but strangely enough, the rental cost for 8 days is $30 LOWER than 7 days. So if I factor in the extra parking fee at Wakiki, it could be a $50+ saving.

Question is if I can come back to the airport and pick up the car, half day after my reserved pickup time? Will they take my late pickup as no show, so I could possibly end up with no car to use? Will they still honor the price I got at the reservation time?

1. Re: May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 October 2013, 02:36
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

Aloha,

You would risk it being cancelled. Another risk is that the cost would be recalculated based on the actual dates. You might call and ask them how they handle this situation, but I suspect you wouldn't slide by.

Check rental prices frequently, as folks often find lower rates by the time their vacation date arrives.

Aloha

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

So you didn't get a Costco package that included a car ... but one that had a shuttle included? Then you reserved a car independent of the Costco package? Do I have that right?

And you will be taking the shuttle back to the airport at the end of your stay?

It'll take about 45 minutes to take the bus to the airport and pick up the car, reversing the process toward the end of your stay. If you took a shuttle or a cab to the airport - that would be an added expense.

I think you will lose the car, and the deal if you don't pick it up as promised - but, perhaps it would be better to figure how many days you actually WANT and will need the car. Then reserve a car for pick up on Waikiki, close to your hotel, for the time you actually need it.

Another option would be to contact Costco and ask if you can swap out the shuttle component for a rental car ... and see what they say. See how much that would cost.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

I doubt it I think they only give you so much leeway either way.

I would just get the car when you arrive that way you don't have to waste your valuable vacation time going back to the airport.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

I would book your car rental pickup and return to a location near your hotel. I imagine thst would be cheaper as well as airport pick up locations tend to be more expensive. If as you say the shuttle is included then you'll save the extra parking days as well

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

That is a good suggestion Chrissy! Where are you staying.

You can look at this site and just put in a Waikiki pickup they are just a broker so you will receive a email confirmation from the actual company you pick.

www.hawaiidrive-o.com

Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

Thanks guys for the comments.

Costco does offer to use rental car instead of their transfer service, but that's additional ~$250 for the whole package. You can also decline the transfer service and arrange the transportation yourself, but no refund on the transfer part.

I tried to book a separate car rental from Costco. Guess what? It is waaaaay cheaper! It only costs $110 for a week total (tax and fees included) for a standard car from Alamo HNL. Same car pickup from Waikiki for a week costs ~300 total. You do the math!

Go back to my original question - not an issue anymore. I managed to book the car for 7 days ($110 a week) starting from the next morning. So we'll use the Costco transfer service to go to the hotel for the 1st night, then use the rental car during our stay. We do need to go back the airport to get the car, but that'll be my hubby's problem! Yay!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

Without luggage you can take The Bus quite simply from Waikiki to the airport. It only costs $2.50 and depending on when you need to go really doesn't take that long.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

Good I 'm glad you got it sorted out.

Have a great trip!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May I book a car and pick it up the day after?

Great! Puzzle solved.

While we're on the subject, any rental car dealership will try to sell you the sun, moon and stars with added insurances. So know what your coverage is before you leave home - either with your car insurance carrier or perhaps added coverage through your credit card company.