We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

California
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

We'll be in Waikiki during Christmas this year, and we're wondering whether the water temperature will be warm enough to swim and snorkel comfortably. Is the weather around that time likely to be sunny, cloudy, or rainy? We've visited the various Hawaiian islands many times in the past, but never in winter time. When we were at Oahu and Maui this summer (August), the water was just right, cool enough to be refreshing and warm enough to stay in for hours.

Also, is there any "can't miss" special events/activities going on during Christmas that we should plan for?

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

We were in Oahu and Maui last year in December. Water temperature was fine, had no problems swimming/snorkelling. Weather is impossible to predict but it was 90% sunny and warm with the odd shower, cloud and windy spell last year

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,400 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

Do you mean how warm? At its coldest, Waikiki is warmer than So Cal at its warmest.

Waikiki will be around 77 degrees in December and that is slightly under the 79-80° that a competitive swimming pool would be.

www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/hawaii.html

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

We went to Wakiki last Christmas. The weather was lovely. It sometimes got breezy. Water temperatures were fine, didn't stop us from swimming! You will have a wonderful time!

Edited: 27 October 2013, 23:16
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,026 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

Here are some averages. weather.com/weather/…USHI0026

It can be rainy ... showery ... or not. It's warm, though.

Yes, there is ALOT going on around Christmas! What are your interests?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,872 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

We swim and snorkel year round. The water is generally at it's warmest in Sept./October and cools from there. There should be no reason not to get into the water in December. We can get storms in December which include lightening and downpours. Or it could be beautiful. Any forecast more than 2 days out isn't any good and even then can be suspect!!

Plan on going downtown to Honolulu Hale (city hall) you will see a wonderful Christmas display.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

We were there 12/31-1/10 - whilst it wasn't cold we did have persistent drizzle most days. Didn't worry us too much, we are perfectly happy sitting on the beach in the rain LOL. Water temps were good enough for swimming in.

LA
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

The winter water in Hawaii is not bathtub warm.

Frankly, I find it a bit chilly for regular swimming and snorkeling. Not awful, just not perfect for me.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

I think it depends on your cold tolerance. I come with extra natural insulation ;) yet, when we were snorkeling in late April /early May this year I got cold.. So I think people all feel the cold differently.

California
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

Thanks all! Appreciate the feedbacks. It sounds like the water will be ok on a sunny day, so that's great. We'll just have to hope for good weather!

As to our interest re Christmas, I'm sure there will be festive decors everywhere, but I was just wondering if there's any special displays or activities around Waikiki that we shouldn't miss. We're not interested in any expensive shows or concerts (don't plan to pack formal wears and don't want to arrange childcare).

Thanks again!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How cold is the water during Christmas? Anything special?

I find the water in Hawaii in December on the chilly side so I wear a long sleeve 3m top if I'm going to be snorkeling 45 minutes or more at one time. I recommend my fellow travelers rent the shorty wet suits that are available at all the dive/snorkel rental shops.