We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

I am going with my 3 children 21 19 and 13 to Hawaii in Jan. Reading all the reports I am confused if I should wait till the new year to book or book early to secure a booking. Is it busy this time of year. I like the resort type places but I want to keep my cost to about $150 a night. Is this possible or will I be looking at paying more.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

Do you mean January 2014? If that is the case it is not to early up book. There aren't a lot of "resorts" in Oahu and the ones that do exist will be way above that nightly budget I would think.

You will be able to find hotel rooms for that amount - someone should chime in soon.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

Yes Jan 2014 - I am not familiar with Hawaii at all - so from your reply I understand that Oahu is where you stay when you go there.

I would not mind a hotel room if we can all stay in the one room with double beds.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

Oahu is the main island of Hawaii. It is where the capital Honolulu and the international airport is situated. Waikiki is a part of town with the most hotels along the coastline.

I think you should read the sticky about traveling to Hawaii to get a feel of where you want to stay, how long (always work in nights not days) and what your budget will be.

Hawaii has lots of diversity over its islands and there are different places that suit different people. Are there any wants and needs your family have ie hiking, surfing, visiting historical sites etc?

All of this info will help people make recommendations to you.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

How far is it from Oahu to Waikki? I prefer to stay more near the beach, which means I think Waikki is where I would go right?

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

You should book as soon as possible. Our accommodation for February was booked ages ago. I see there are still some hotel availability for then, so I imagine there would be something for your dates.

Not sure of pricing but have you looked at Holiday Inn Beachcomber? It is in a great central location, within walking distance to the beach and close to restaurants and shops. They offer rooms with two double beds. Or did you want a beachfront hotel? That'd be outside your budget. Hoping others will pitch in soon.

Good luck and happy planning! :)

Edited: 29 October 2013, 05:06
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

Oh man,

You need to do some reading before you think about booking.

>>> How far is it from Oahu to Waikki?

Because you donʻt know that Oahu is the island and Waikiki is an area ON Oahu, you really donʻt know anything yet. Which is fine, but you donʻt want to book when you donʻt know anything about where you are going.

Please get a copy of Hawaii For Dummies, which is an intro book, part of the highly useful "For Dummies" series and not saying anything about you other than you need a starter course.

You are late to book for this time. It is high season then. But you canʻt turn back the clock and book months ago as most people do, so rushing instead of taking a few days to research is not going to help.

Anyway, how fun is it to read about Hawaiʻi?

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
460 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

You need to book now.

We are going the week before and booked the accommodation in July. The price for the same hotel and room and extras has now gone up $900 for the 10 nights since we booked.

Look on Expedia.com.au to get an idea of prices.

Our booking had free cancellation so if the price went down we could change to the better deal, but the prices have just kept going up.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 05:16
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,134 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

A good place to start is the Summary of Each Island, found on the main Hawai`i forum under Top Questions.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,195 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

I'm concerned about you. You've made plans with your family to visit a place that you (sorry) don't seem to know anything about.

You need to make your accomodations reservations ASAP... as most people will have pinned down their lodging months ago. The longer you wait, the higher the cost and tighter the availabilty.

$150 per night is extremely low at this late date and with a family that size. Also be aware that there are taxes on the room rates - and sometimes resort fees as well. You will not find a resort at that price - but could find a hotel.

And are you going to rent a car? You need to reserve it as well.

Truly, I think the first thing you need to do is get a good travel guide for the ISLAND of OAHU and the CITY of HONOLULU. And get a good map! It's essential.

I would repost on the Oahu Forum and ask: Need Budget Hotel for Family in January ... and see what kind of more focused responses you get.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: HAWAII 24th Jan to 7th Feb. Is it too early to book hotels

Thank you all for your input. I have looked at the Peal Aqua Palms - Lets see how it goes.