We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

Looking to travel to Honolulu from Australia, December 2014/Jan 2015. this is the ONLY time we can travel (run a small business) so please no suggestions to travel at other times. We are looking at staying 4-5 days and then heading to mainland USA after that.

I'm after recommendations for condo / self catering / apartment accommodation, with facilities for young families - our kids will be 10, 8, 5 & 2 at the time of travel. I like the big resorts but they seem limited in condo accoms? Also the $$ is high for some resorts? I have looked at the Outrigger Regency on Beachwalk and Waikiki Shore & Reef on the Beach (any recoms?!), but perhaps some experienced suggestions for hidden gems?

I don't believe we will have a car, so location to most amenities is important.

Also interested in people's views on what attractions here might be good for our kids' ages.

And the possibility of going to Maui - is that likely/possible and for a day or a night?

Thanks, look forward to hearing ideas/suggestions/recommendations!

Cheers.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

Have a look at

vrbo.com

If you're willing to be a couple blocks walk to the beach, you'll save a lot of money!

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

Beedoo has a long thread with a lot of condo research.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

This is the link - was just reading it

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k623…

Apologies if that is not the right way to do it - just new :)

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

Prices for accommodation will be cheapest and easiest to book up until December 20. They will be most expensive and difficult to find December 20-January 3. It's good to start looking now. You may not be able to book until January, 2013 though.

The two big kid-friendly resorts on the island are Aulani and Hilton Hawaiian Village. Both have condo accommodations. Aulani's are called Disney Vacation Club and the Hilton's are HGVC or Hilton Grand Vacation Club or Grand Waikikian. Aulani is off the beaten path in Kapolei,and is good if you intend to stay within the resort, but not so good if you want to be out and about. The Hilton and other accommodations in Honolulu are good for access to all that Oahu has to offer. Be aware that most posters on the trip advisor forums don't like big resorts.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,826 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

I would look at the Waikiki Sunset as well as those you have looked at already. Having 6 really limits you. The Hilton Grand Vacation Club is expensive and probably not available at that time.

Do not attempt Maui, stick with Oahu.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

Not really worth it to go to Maui for a day. First it will cost about $160/person round trip. If money isn't an object, it will take up a good bit of time (especially with lots of kids!) and unless there is something very specific on Maui that you are dying to see, I think you can experience a lot of Hawaii in Oahu.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

With only 4-5 days, you don't have time to go to both Oahu and Maui imo.

suze

Honolulu, Hawaii
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

I think anything near Waikiki is the best. You will have the beach, Honolulu Zoo, Waikiki Aquarium, and Diamond Head (might need to carry the little one).

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

Another vote for vrbo.com.

Also try sixsuitcasetravel.com since you have a family of six.

Kids would like the Waikiki aquarium. It's small as far as aquariums go, but I've been to many aquariums and it does have different sea creatures not seen in other places. Reasonable price, too, and you can walk if staying in Waikiki.

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never been before, family of 6, best places to stay?

The penthouse at the Ilima is big enough for our family of seven. Don't let penthouse scare you...it is on the canal and is a few blocks from the beach so it is more reasonable. Good parking if you rent a car. The pool is way too small but we dont find a pool important when the beach is a easy stroll away. It has a good kitchen and a great laundry room in the room. If you don't want to spend a fortune and you have a big family you need to realize a few blocks further inland makes a big difference in price. Waikiki is so narrow that no property is that far from the ocean. Hawaii 5-0 is a good company to use to rent condo's. We have used them three years in a row.