We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday - Day Six...

California
Level Contributor
622 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday - Day Six...

Day six….. and I’m feeling a little blue because our days are passing so fast… which brings this vacation nearer to an end. We’ve had such an amazing time already!!

Saturday morning means pau hana and the beach is very crowded. Oh I almost forgot to tell you… last night after the fireworks we went to the BX and bought … cereal and milk for breakfast. Did he wake up eager for breakfast? Not really ;) We had Honey Nut Cheerios and milk (served in water glasses with plastic spoons)… on the lanai, as we watched the catamarans come and go from the Outrigger beachfront.

My mini Hawaiian history lesson for today was brought to mind by the catamarans. I’m fascinated by the conception and voyage of the Hokule’a from Hawaii to back in 1976 . Her crew had no modern navigation instruments and depended solely upon the ancient Polynesian techniques and the talents of people like Mau Piailug. If you share my love of Hawaiian history, google Hokule’a and Mau Piailug… it’s amazing. Back to our morning with Cheerios… ;) In case you’re wondering, yes, I’m still teasing him about the topless wahine on the beach yesterday. I share his surprise… I know there are nude beaches all over the world but it was strange to see a nudie at Fort DeRussy. He said he should have busted out his camera for a photo opp. I think my reply needs to be edited for this post ;)

So, what to do on this Saturday morning??? We agree on a walk through Waikiki. As I’ve mentioned SEVERAL times, we’re not as young as we once were and it is a long walk from the Hale Koa to the other end of Waikiki. Hubby comes up with a brilliant idea, which does indeed save my poor aching knees and still allows us to visit Waikiki on foot. We go out to the parking garage and harness up our trusty white Chevy Cruze… and drive across the parking lot to the far side … which borders Saratoga Street. We park there and head out on our morning’s journey. We walk toward Diamond Head and window shop at some of the world’s most expensive stores… Tiffany.. sorry but I’ll never be able to own anything from one of their little blue boxes. Interestingly you can find anything from a very cheap souvenir to, as I said, a Tiffany diamond being sold along Kalakaua. That’s what makes it so much fun. The International Marketplace is nearing the end of its life, so we stop there for a last visit. I understand this valuable property will bring in much more money in its new life than it does as the marketplace it is now, but it’s been here for so many years… I hate to see it go. We cross the street and walk through the gorgeous old lady, the Moana Surfrider. Sitting in a rocking chair on that white pillared porch would be great but alas… it’s not to be. By the time we reach Duke’s statue at the other end of Waikiki I’m rethinking the greatness of the idea…. of such a long walk. We buy a shave ice at one of the little stores and sit on a bench by the water to watch the people go by. Love people watching! A little boy… really little… maybe 2 years old… comes over for a visit. His legs and feet are coated in beach sand… and he’s so cute. I don’t think he really wants to visit as much as he’d like to have the rest of my guava shave ice. He chatted with hubby for a minute or two… stealing glances at my shave ice, before his mom came to take him away and apologize for his intrusion. I assured her he was just fine… as she kissed his sandy face and took him back to her family. Hubby suggested we begin our journey back to the Cruze because he was … hmmm guess what….. getting hungry …. and he wanted to drive over to Waimanalo and eat a late lunch at Keneke’s. Now there are not many places on this island that I refuse to eat at, but Keneke’s is getting really close to being one of those. It’s been there, in the same location for as many years as I can remember… and the food is pretty good sometimes, I’ll admit. What freaks me out is … the smell. You see, there is a bricked in lanai to the right side and every time we’ve gone there… the trash cans have been overflowing and the odor of garbage is strong. Overflowing trash and garbage begets what? flies…. hundreds of them. We head back to Saratoga and our air conditioned Cruze… and along the way we discuss alternatives to Keneke’s.

My turn to drive again and I choose the Pali as our route to Waimanalo. That view as we exit the tunnel… is picture perfect! We’ve agreed to eat at Keneke’s .. well sorta’. In recent years the snack bar at Bellows has been taken over by Keneke’s and it’s clean and smells good and I eagerly agree to eat there. I choose the teri chicken plate lunch and he (being the hungry hubby that he is) picks a combo plate of kalua pork and teri beef, 2 scoops aloha and mac salad. This is good. Onolicious! Nice air conditioned eating space with amazing beach views. While we eat, we discuss the pros and cons of renting a cabin here at Bellows for our next vacation.

Pros: very affordable, beautiful, peaceful, white sandy beach, cooking on the bbq, sitting at the picnic table at sunrise….

Cons: cooking meals, no daily maid service, cooking meals and no daily made service. (just so you know….. an integral part of vacation in my mind includes hotel room where I don’t cook or make beds, clean bathrooms or sweep the sandy floors…. I keep my house clean at home but I want to be lazy when I’m on vacation)

We agree that it might be fun to spend a two or three days at Bellows and the majority of our next vacation at my beloved Hale Koa. I can do that!!!

Lunch finished and decisions made… we go change into swimsuits and lather with sunblock before floating in that turquoise sea and counting blessings… so deeply thankful for our health and ability to spend time in this paradise.

Want to know just how sappy we really are??? Before we left home, I made 2 Hawaiian music CDs to bring along. When we are cruising in our Cruze, in go the CDs and we listen to Robi Kahakalau and Iz and the Makaha Sons, and all our favorites as we visit the sights.

It’s sushi for a late dinner tonight…… while we plan tomorrow!!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,516 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday - Day Six...

"...he should have busted out his camera for a photo opp." Oh please, tell me pun intended

Love your trip reports! You have exactly the attitude that we bring along for our visits.

And,

Your reports keep us, ahem, drum roll, abreast of what's happening!!

More please~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday - Day Six...

Yet another great day :) loving every bit!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday - Day Six...

I totally get the no cooking / maid service requirement! I do enough of that in my real life so holidays are cooking / cleaning free zone.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday - Day Six...

Another great visit giving us great ways to kill the days till our January 27th arrival

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday - Day Six...

Totally agree with no cooking or cleaning on vacay. We'd do laundry during a 2 week trip just so we don't have to bring too much luggage, but that's about it.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,431 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday - Day Six...

Another wonderful installment! Thank you for sharing.

7. Re: Saturday - Day Six...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 05:17