We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day seven

California
Level Contributor
587 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Day seven

Sunday is day seven …..

We finally sleep in … I guess my resolution not to waste precious vacation hours sleeping in .. has come to an abrupt end. We even forgo breakfast this morning… which has to be a shock to hubby’s system, right? ;) Coffee on the lanai … and by the way the in room coffee is very good. A little brewer that makes a single cup at a time and that suits us just fine as I’m a one cuppa day girl. The persistent wreath of clouds is still covering the Ko’olaus … but this morning it’s a bit darker and there is surely rain somewhere. In fact, I think I heard the rain in the middle of last night. After a leisurely morning with coffee and enjoying the view… even lamenting about there only being two nights of vacation left… we shower and get dressed for church. The humidity is high this morning and I’m not enjoying wearing so many clothes. My ¾ length sleeve blouse, long pants and shoes… feel like they weighs 20 pounds. When we’re on Oahu, we always go back to our old church….the base chapel at Hickam AFB. Mass is at 10:30 and we leave Waikiki at 9:30… the drive to Hickam takes us more than forty minutes.

The chapel is crowded and it’s wonderful to see so many young couples worshiping with their children. While I was silently moaning about the fact I had over dressed, these people were comfortable in shorts and aloha shirts… sun dresses and sandals. “lesson learned” Great service, we totally enjoyed ourselves and were made to feel very welcome …

I might have worn too many clothes for Mass, but I was akamai enough to pack a beach bag, JUST in case. So we stopped by the shoppette and I hurried into the ladies room and changed into a sundress … whew… and my slippers before we drove back towards Waikiki. We can’t miss more than one meal in a row… so we stopped on the way for moah’ moa (lol silly me). Koala Moa is closed on Mondays and we go home Tuesday, so we decided Sunday lunch was an awesome time for chicken. I ordered the ½ chicken (it’s small… really … I swear) plate with 1 scoop aloha, tossed salad and takuan… which is pickled daikon radish. Hubby, on the other hand … had the large plate which included 2 pieces of chicken and 2 ribs…. 2 scoops aloha, corn, salad and kimchee. (oink oink). He is a growing boy … lol. Well, he has the appetite of one. The food was hot and perfectly cooked… sooo delish again. While we were waiting for our food, a couple came in to order take out. After he placed their order, he asked how much for a bottle of water and was told, “one dollar” He complained loudly, telling the lady…. “this place is so cheap… what a rip off…even charging for water.” I wanted to say, “reallllllly??? Exactly where (either here or on the mainland) have you gotten free bottled water?” Grrrrrr….. Remember it’s imported ??? Hubby gave me stink eye, so I kept my opinion to myself for this one time.

On the way out I asked the lady behind the counter if they make their own kimchee and she assured me they did. I smiled and asked if she’d share the recipe…. she smiled back and shook her head, ‘no.’ Oh well, nice try.

I don’t think I should have complained about being full or fitting into my Hawaiian Airlines seat belt, because hubby thought it would be good for both of us to attempt the hike to the Makapu’u Lighthouse this afternoon.

“Really???? sigh!!! But, I’m too full from my lunch. How about a book to read on the beach?”

“But, you won’t be too full after the hike and your pants will fit better,” he says.

“ HUH? MY PANTS ARE NOT TOO TIGHT!!! WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT? Do they look too tight? Oh my gosh, do they really look tight? (sigh) Okay, I’ll do the hike.”

He laughs at me all the way back to the Hale Koa… while I pout in the corner, pretending to ignore him. We head up to our room to change clothes and I stop to look in the mirror at my okole several times during the process. He catches me doing that and laughs again. Harrumph.

“Honey, I’ll tell you if and when I think you’re pants are too tight.” (a pat on the butt, and we’re off…..)

The drive takes us to the H1, through Hawaii Kai, past Koko Head, the blow hole, Sandys to the lighthouse sign and we pull off to the right … and into the parking lot. The signs say to expect hot, windy and dry conditions as you hike the 2 mile round trip. I strap on my water bottle and slap my hat on my head and off we go. The wide, paved path is smooth and the hike isn’t quite as difficult as I’d imagined, though it does get steeeeeep in a few places. There is some silent complaining… a bit of perspiring along the way. I see a couple coming back down, pushing a stroller with twin girls….and of course I stop to see the pretty girls. Mom says she’s glad she brought the stroller because the girls would have needed to be carried most of the way otherwise. I told her I would like to borrow her stroller, sans the girls, because it would make the steeper parts easier. She laughed and said, “Don’t tell my husband that, he doesn’t realize how much I’m really leaning on this stroller.” Always meet nice people in Hawaii…. I can feel the mile long hike melting away the calories I consumed at lunch and I console myself by the thought of perhaps needing to buy a smaller size pants when I get home … (FAT chance and yes, pun intended ;) The views are almost indescribable…. glorious … amazing… miles of sparking blue Pacific…. islands in the distance. The lighthouse, down below makes a beautiful sight against the water. Just fabulous and wow! … and the coast of Oahu spread out in all her beauty. Words fail… except for a few: 1. You really have to take this hike if you possibly can… it’s more than worth the exertion. 2. I’m so glad I did it and I think you’d agree. 3. The trek back to the waiting Chevy Cruze… and blessed air conditioning… is much easier. … another Must Do.

We turn back onto the Kalaniana’ole Highway and retrace our route. Hubby stops at the lookout on the right side of the road… not sure the name of it but it’s just past the entrance to Hanauma Bay. From this view point you can see Koko Head and the stairs that go up to the top. I’ve read lots of reviews on this hike… and though they call it a moderate hike, 1000+ stairs .. going straight up the side of Koko Head doesn’t sound moderate to this old gal. Hubby asks if I want to try that hike tomorrow and my look speaks far louder than any words I could say. But for you … I’ll simply say, ‘no, nopey no thanks.’

Dinner plans include a steak at Biba’s at the Hale Koa and some nice beach time….

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day seven

Missing Hawaii even more :( keep the TR coming!

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day seven

Don't let it end!!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,155 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day seven

I know how you feel when there is only 2 days left. How come it takes so long for a Hawaii vacation to get here and then it goes by so darn fast? Just never seems to last for us either.

Enjoying your report. Thanks.

Iowa
Level Contributor
8 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day seven

Wonderful trip report - thanks for sharing!! I am starting the final planning stages of our Feb 1-Feb 14, 2014 trip (activities) and am living vacariously thru your posts!!! Enoy the remaining minutes in Paradise!

5. Re: Day seven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 06:18