We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grocery shopping

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
grocery shopping

Hi on a previous trip to Waikiki we bought coffee, milk etc at the ABC stores. We will be staying for a longer vacation this time and I was wondering if there are any larger supermarkets to buy groceries. We will be staying at the Ilikai.

Hessle, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grocery shopping

There is a Walmart at 700 Keeaumoku St which is not far from the Ala Moana shopping centre, look here for a map. You could walk there from the Ilikai

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=walmart+waikiki&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=walmart&hnear=0x7c006df4e5c129af:0x4633ddc52a688878,Waikiki,+Honolulu,+HI,+USA&ei=7hh-UuObIorNhAfo2oCYBQ&ved=0CMUBELYD&iwloc=cids:1937747550280200518

Edited: 09 November 2013, 11:18
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grocery shopping

Also Foodland at Ala Moana Shopping Center near the Ilikai. You can sign up for a Makai card when you get there and take advantage of the weekly sale prices.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,397 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grocery shopping

If you don't have a car, the Foodland at Ala Moana is your best bet probably and there are some smaller, ethnic markets (Asian) near Ala Moana as well.

If you do have a car, I think the Safeways are nicer stores and Whole Foods the nicest of all.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grocery shopping

The closest grocery store within walking distance is the Food Pantry on Hobron in Eaton Square. Also, there is an ABC Superette on Hobron and Ala Moana Blvd that may do the trick. It's larger than the usual ABC Store.

It depends on what you need to buy - for how many people ... for how many nights. If you really need to stock up, take a cab to the Safeway on Beretania or Kapahulu (I like the Kapahulu store better). You can use your Safeway card if you have one, or sign up for one there (easy). safeway.com/ShopStores/…

Foodland in the Ala Moana Center is closer than the Safeways - but smaller and more expensive - but also more fun.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grocery shopping

Thanks everyone for all the info on grocery shopping....I've got lots of options now.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grocery shopping

We have grocery shopped at Foodland at Ala Moana with the Makai card and at SAfeway - signing up for there card on the spot. If you have the time to go to Safeway on Kapahulu it is really a lot of fun to wander up and down the aisles and check out what is on the shelves. Sometimes so different from home - Safeway has a great takeaway food section, bakery, wonderful fruit/veg section. When we take the grandchildren (now 9/11/15) and let them buy for lunch and dinner it is a great experience for them when they have to choose foods they do not have at home.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grocery shopping

Aloha, we are heading to Oahu with family for the Christmas and New Years season. Is there a Costco near Waikiki?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grocery shopping

Not near Waikiki, but in Honolulu. Check their website. And be prepared .... for a crowd.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grocery shopping

We went to Costco twice while on Oahu - once to the Honolulu location on a Saturday afternoon when we knew it would be busy. It was somewhat busy but no worse than a regular Costco trip on a weekend. We got a park easily, we got out of there extremely quickly with everything we needed and still had time to try all the samples they were offering.. I had set us an hour and a half and we did it in an hour. It was more of a surgical strike.

The other location we visited was Hawaii Kai on a Thursday not to buy much but just so the other half could have a look at the place as he missed the Saturday trip.

If you are thinking of going to Costco you probably want to read this post from Pomai -

tastyislandhawaii.com/2013/…

That post helped us be prepared for our visit, budget accordingly and not be all deer in the headlights wow they don't stock that at my local Costco.. :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,397 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: grocery shopping

I guess it depends on what you consider close.

The Costco on Alakawa Street is about five miles as the crow flies from central Waikiki, six miles when the crow needs to drive.

http://goo.gl/maps/8xJzs