We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Choice Assistance

Minnesota
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Choice Assistance

Hi. I'm looking for a bit of assistance with hotel selection. Usually, I would spend time researching every detail but honestly I'm really tired and looking for some advice. The trip, thus far, has taken a lot to plan and coordinate but I am certain it will all be worth it. This hotel is just the final task.

Context: I, along with 3 travel companions, will be in Oahu for 10 nights beginning 11/29. We'll be staying at Ko Olina Beach Villas. I'm taking my brother, who has health issues, along with a friend and her fiancé. This is my 4th trip to Oahu but their first.

Knowing that Ko Olina is a bit remote, I want to give my friend and her fiancé a couple of nights to experience the excitement of the Waikiki beach area. They've been a wonderful help to my family so I want to do something special. I'm just on a budget. I'm hoping to find a reasonable hotel with at least a partial ocean view for around $150 a night. But my head is spinning from searching through booking sites.

My brother's health won't allow for him to spend a lot of time walking around the area but I'll make sure he gets some time there too.

So, I'm open to any suggestions if you have them.

Thanks in advance.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Choice Assistance

Nichelle - no wonder your head is spinning. That's the day after Thanksgiving - and Thanksgiving is HIGH tourist season. Prices are high and availability very tight.

Your budget is very low ... and I know that you want this to be special.

I wish I had ideas for you, but I don't ... except to revisit your budget.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Choice Assistance

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it. Yes, the timing is tough. I was hoping I could find something mid week that might be reasonable. It really doesn't matter which 2 nights are chosen. I just didn't want them to travel all the way there and not spend time in Waikiki.

I'll see if I can squeeze more into the budget.

Thanks again.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Choice Assistance

I'm hoping that my fellow posters can pull some rabbits out of the hat. Have you tried Priceline?

You can send your friends into Honolulu/Waikiki on a shuttle for the day ...

Minnesota
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Choice Assistance

That's a great suggestion. I haven't used Priceline in years and hadn't even thought of it. See, I told you my head was spinning. :)

I could also cut it back to one night. My 'plan' was to drive all of us to Waikiki, spend time there so my brother could experience it and then leave my friends there for a couple of nights.

I recall a site where bidders posted their winning bids so perhaps I can see current rates. I'll try that.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,697 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Choice Assistance

Aloha,

Put some possible dates into Expedia. Orbitz, or Travelocity just to find out which hotels have availability. Use that as your starting point.

Some budget favorites include the Breakers, Sand Villa, and Royal Grove . Sometimes the Aquas & Ohanas work.

There are threads fo budget hotels on TA a search would hopefully find.

Maps of the area:

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

hicondos.com/neighborhoods-CondosHawaiiRealE…

Aloha

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,697 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Choice Assistance

Aloha,

Some of the threads I mentioned:

tripadvisor.com/…48238246

tripadvisor.com/…46145177

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k601028…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k647999…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k628953…

tripadvisor.com/…49228572

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k598178…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k642192…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k636765…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k609572…

Edit -

The links didn't transfer over. But you can cut and paste these or run a search yourself by date.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 20:15
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Choice Assistance

In case you need the link to the site that has the bidding results, it's betterbidding.com

For Hawaii:

www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=16

on the road to...
Level Contributor
583 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Choice Assistance

For budget with a view, I'd recommend checking the Queen Kapiolani to see if it'd work for you. It is NOT fancy, and certainly not at the level of the Ko Olina, but it's clean; I've stayed there a few times and would certainly stay again. I took a quick look and the rates do vary during your stay, lower earlier on and going up a bit the second Weekend (around $144 for Ocean View earlier, up to $184 later on.) There are pictures on their website and some in the review section here on TripAdvisor so you can get an idea of what the rooms are like.

You'd want an Ocean/Diamond Head view - you likely have to book Ocean View and request to be on the Diamond Head side of the building (they've changed the room category names since my first visit, so I just call to have them confirm which category is what I really want. Be sure to mention wanting a balcony/lanai, not every room has one.) Basically, you want to be above the pool - you'll be able to see the ocean and have a completely unobstructed view of Diamond Head. Even in a less expensive Diamond Head room (about $124/night), you'd likely be able to see at least a bit of the ocean (DON'T book a "Standard" room, those are tiny.)

It is at the far end of Waikiki so it would require more walking to get into the center of things, but it's only a block from the beach and certainly isn't isolated. Be aware that it is a budget property, but it works great for us. For the price, I don't think you can beat that view.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Choice Assistance

Who are you flying in with, Nichelle? If it is Hawaiian they often have excellent hotel deals available to the general public - you could have a look at their site, if you see something you like and want to book you might as well sign up for Hawaiian Miles - it is free and you don't necessarily have to book a flight with them to be a member.

I just did a quick search for 3-5 December (midweek like you said) and they have the Queen Kapiolani that someone else suggested for $247.17 USD for 2 nights inclusive of fees and taxes, plus you earn 600 Hawaiian Miles.

Hopefully someone who stays there regularly can say if this is a good deal for that hotel or not. :)

They also have the Pacific Beach Hotel which I see mentioned here a bit for $314.03 USD for 2 nights inclusive of fees and taxes, plus you earn 600 Hawaiian Miles, and the Park Shore for $337.89 USD for 2 nights inclusive of fees and taxes, plus you earn 600 Hawaiian Miles.

Anyway that gives you a couple of prices to compare against the other hotel sites.

hawaiianairlines.com/Vacation-Packages/…

Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Choice Assistance

There's a 'new' place called VIVE that has a special price that may suit you, and may as yet be a bit undiscovered:

http://vivehotelwaikiki.com/ there is a promo rate of $219 on their website.