We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
290 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

Hi All,

We're looking to decide between these two properties for 4 nights in August. Two adults, 2 young teens. Primary interests are a decent pool, close to the beach, and walking distance to shops/restaurants as we won't have a car. Budget is around $250 and both of these are available for around that (Reef is $20 more per night).

Another option in our range is the Regency on the Beachwalk - about $30 less than the Reef, $10 less than the Waikiki.

Our trip goals are:

Visit Pearl Harbor

Hike Diamond Head

Visit the Polynesian Cultural Center

Relax at the pool / beach

We may rent a car and drive the rest of the island as well.

Thanks in advance.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
290 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

Alternatively, what about the Wyndham at Waikiki Beach Walk? It's about $50 cheaper a night.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

Have you read this thread on the forum? It will help. Chuck.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k698811…

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,546 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

Both are on the beach, and it is a short walk between them. Both have excellent locations.

I prefer the Reef because it is a bit quieter ... but with teens, you may like the Outrigger Waikiki better. I can't speak to the size of the rooms, but you may want to check their websites about that.

I like the pool at the Reef better, but the pool isn't beach front.

The Outrigger Waikiki has the iconic Duke's restaurant, but you don't have to stay there to eat there.

The Wyndham has a great location, about a short block from the beach. Their pool is on a terrace - but it looks great! I think that you would appreciate the extra space and the washer and dryer.

Again, these accomodations are a short walk from each other.

Driving around the Island is a great idea, and you could rent a car for the day on Waikiki (reserve it). You could start with an early morning hike up Diamond Head (you will want to go early and beat the heat!) ... and then proceed around the Island.

The Polynesian Cultural Center does have packages with pick-up on Waikiki.

4. Re: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2013, 19:47
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

The best advice I can give is to rent a car the entire time & get out & see the island.

It may mean getting a hotel or condo for a little less. But, you can explore Oahu much better with a rental car.

By the time you pay for airport transportation, buses, cabs and a rental car for a day or two, you won't save any significant $$. Plus you will have wasted many hours taking public transportation.

Don't waste your valuable vacation time trying to save a few $$ taking public transportation.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, maps, websites, etc.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii and the Island of Oahu (other islands also available).

Alberta
Level Contributor
669 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

With teens, I'd choose the Outrigger Waikiki as it has the better beach area. Our teens loved the location. We rented a car every third day and just returned it at the end of the day. There's a Budget across the street at The Hyatt that had good rates through Costco when we were there last month.

7. Re: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 14:40
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

Mike D,

14 posts all on the same day of joining, advertising that company.

Don't like your chances of keeping your account.

Sydney
Level Contributor
278 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

I would go with Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach - I just stayed at the Reef and we walked down to the OWOTB and though it was nicer and in a better location. Plus you have Dukes and the Hula Grill on ground which are both great places to eat.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,174 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach?

Outrigger has a liveitup special if you are still looking at staying at any of the Outrigger properties.

I am booked at Outrigger Waikiki in February and have booked directly with the hotel, with the promo code. As mentioned by a couple of posters, Hula Grill and Duke's is onsite.

Good luck and happy planning! :)