We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

Of all the hotels in Waikiki, our choices are limited to 1) Aston Waikiki Sunset, 2) Double Tree by Hilton Alana and 3) Hilton Hawaiian Village for traveling end of January/2014 for a couple weeks. HHV costs the most but I'm wondering if it's worth it considering variables. There will be 2 adults,16 and 13 year old boys, as well as an 11 year old girl. The boys are looking forward to surfing and all the fun in general they can expect. Booking so late, I don't think we will have a fantastic view at HHV. Don't mind paying more if we get more, though! Any opinions or tips are much appreciated!

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,670 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

If these are your only options, the HHV by far would be my choice based solely on location.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,597 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

Can you get in to the Embassy Suites?

Virginia
Level Contributor
677 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

I don't know a lot about the options for that many people for HHV. I prefer the Rainbow Tower oceanfront, and they do have those available for that timeframe, but since you would need more than one room it wouldn't be very cost effective. I do know they have some suites, etc, in another tower, but I don't know what the view is like.

As for the resort and location, I think your family would love it...so many swimming options (large beach in that area, a lagoon, and 3 swimming pools). Plus there is a lot of space to wander in at the resort....shops, restaurants, etc.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

Thanks for taking the time to write this reply. I appreciate your opinion! I am leaning towards wanting to keep our reservation there. So you think we'd enjoy it even if we have a small room without much of a view (worst case scenario?)?

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,670 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

Does HHV allow 5 people in one room?

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
145 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

Any chance of doing the Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk? Good location for those activities, an area, like HHV, where the older kids can safely head off to do some stuff on their own, room for family, very cost effective, washer/dryer. You don't have to be a timeshare owner; we frequently purchase weeks and even individual days there on the secondary market.

Virginia
Level Contributor
677 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

Normally I would say that all of the views are nice.... The oceanview that looks toward the harbor and down at the lagoon is good, and normally the resort views would be pretty. I don't know how much the construction would impact views that direction right now. You can always call and ask the hotel specifically about your view/construction.

That all said, there are so many places to roam outside your room at the resort and in Waikiki, you can have tons of fun without a great view.

I am guessing if you were able to get one room, perhaps it is larger than standard? I ask because we had a regular 2 bed oceanfront, and there was no other option for a 5th person , but they may have larger rooms that I don't know about. We only had 3 people total so it was an easy fit in a regular/standard two bed room.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

Thanks for your input!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

No. No availability for 5 people.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Troubles deciding on Waikiki hotel for family of 5

Well, I booked through expedia 5 of us although I am wondering if they expect the 3 kids to be together on the king bed since that is all it said was in e room. I'm assuming there is a pullout. I'll have to have that clarified....as long as they aren't expecting us to pay another $40/night for a cot!