We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

I am after help with accommodation choices. What I am after is an apartment or hotel in Waikiki that can accomodate my family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Wanting something nice for around $200 per night.

Kate

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,910 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

What are your travel dates and expectations?

By apartment I assume what we might call a condominium or condo right?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

$200/night is kinda low for 4 grown people. Can you extend your budget any? Chuck.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,910 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

Yes, and especially with teenagers because you will likely have to pay for 2 extra people in the room for kids that age. Will be very difficult to find.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

Thanks travel will be in January and I suppose an apartment is a condo. Can stretch budget to $250 Australian.

Kate

Bendigo
Level Contributor
946 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

I think you will be battling to get somewhere "nice' for around $200 per night - $250 sound a bit better. We have stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel when with the extended family and found the breakfast included helpful. You would not get partial ocean view for that price. Please make sure when recommendations come in if they are the wonderful regular posters their knowledge is invaluable but some posters have actually not stayed at hotels they recommend.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,762 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

Aloha,

Most hotels don't charge for children under 18 using existing bedding.

Check the Hyatt and the Outrigger Reef.

For condos, check vrbo. A condo would have more space.

Aloha

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

With your budget, you want a condo rental. You should be able to find a decent size 1 brm unit with king or queen bed, plus a sofa bed, and kitchen. It will be 1 to 3 blocks from the beach. You can expect a pool, communal bbq grill, laundry facilities on every floor (maybe every other floor), and possibly free parking.

Take a look on

vrbo.com

If you are talking about January 2014, know that you are very late to the game. So you'll need to be nimble!

Good luck~~~~~~~~~~~

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

thank you all for the suggestions.

Kate

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

Hi Kate,

Trying putting your details into booking.com. You can narrow down what is available for your dates then check the hotels own website to compare prices. If prices are same or similar then book directly. Otherwise book via booking.com. They are a reputable third party booking site.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with hotel choice for 1st timer

Thanks I have always used Booking.com in the past but just thought I might get some ideas, but a great way to filter out what I am after.

cheers,

Kate