We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Waikiki Beach

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Waikiki Beach

Why is the Hilton Wakiki Beach Hotel so reasonably priced compared to other hotels near the top of the trip advisor ratings. I thought Hilton hotels were usually more expensive. Is there something wrong with it that im overlooking? is it suitable for a honeymoon?

(please note im not talking about the Hilton Hawaiian Village).

Thanks ! :)

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,723 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Waikiki Beach

It is not on the beach, and certainly not a 5 star hotel. If you have a bigger budget, I suggest the Royal Hawaiian or Halekulani. Those are both on the beach and probably the two premier hotels on Waikiki Beach. There are others on the beach as well for lower prices that are also great hotels.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Waikiki Beach

As placebets said - it's not on the beach. A bit of a noisy corner, too.

Also note that the TripAdvisor ratings are easily manipulated - and random - and therefore not particularly helpful. OK to read them, but don't plan your vacation based on their comments alone. Asking us about hotels is a good approach.

Once upon a time, Hilton was a prestigeous name. Not so much any more. It's OK - but it has serious competion.

If you are using Hilton points, consider the Embassy Suites.

I wouldn't choose the Hilton Waikiki Beach for a honeymoon ... but the real criteria is what you can afford. If you provide us with your nightly accomodations budget - and when you are traveling - we can toss out some ideas for you.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Waikiki Beach

If you do glean information from TA reviews (and I do with great results) make sure to give more "honesty" weight to reviews written by people who have several reviews under their belt. A review written by a one review/post wonder is highly suspect when it is super excellent or super horrible. Chuck.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Waikiki Beach

I think the Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel is nice enough. It has a nice pool area and a good restaurant. If I was going to stay there I would get as high as I could to avoid the noise.

What other hotels are you considering?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Waikiki Beach

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

It's a couple blocks from the beach so it's going to have to be cheaper simply due to location... there is nothing really wrong with it. Hilton is a nice enough chain, but others do provide better service and smarter management...

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,153 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Waikiki Beach

Depending on your budget, almost all Hawaii hotels are suitable for a honeymoon.

The better your budget is, the better hotel choices you have.

Nothing wrong with staying a block or two (about 125-150 meters per block) from the beach. If that is within your budget, Hawaii will still be great for your honeymoon.

I place zero confidence in the hotel ratings/rankings. As BLBL pointed out, ratings/rankings of hotels are suspect due to solicitation of only positive reviews.

The better the hotel (also attractions, tours, etc.) solicits reviews from only "happy campers" the better their rating/ranking is.

Many hotels, attractions and tours have soared to the top of the rankings because of the way they solicit reviews.

Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel was recently renovated. It is close to the beach. It is on Kuhio Ave on most of the bus routes through Waikiki.

Hilton Waikiki is #69 on this map:

www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

East Coast
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Waikiki Beach

I would call Hilton direct, if an honors member and on a honeymoon they might recommend the Hawaiian village. I know not your first choice but Nice big property of 22 acres full of families! There are different towers with different prices maybe they can find you a better room and price for your special trip! A corner ocean view away from kids etc.

Yes Hilton Waikiki is behind the cutest little church (see green roof in foreground). Near great restaurants and attractions! Check oit diamond head for a hike or the zoo for a stroll. I left Marriott for Hilton and it was the best move I could have made

Have a great time!!

Edited: 24 November 2013, 20:59
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Waikiki Beach

Well I currently have a room booked at Outrigger reef on the beach at about $300 a night, but this is refundable if we want, so Im still looking around for better value. we want somewhere with decent rooms and a decent pool. Doesn't have to be over the top luxurious, but something that's nice enough

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,723 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Waikiki Beach

Jo_ann49 - you can drive yourself crazy with this decision, and you will find people on here that like each hotel, and others that like other ones.

I'm going to try to tell you why I would stay where you are, and it's not my favorite and not where I would stay. But, it's a great place to stay. They both have "decent" rooms and a "decent" pool. The HHV location is the main reason I would prefer not to stay there, because it is at one far end of Waikiki and farther to walk to get to other hotels, restaurants, shopping, etc.

I think the HHV is certainly more occupied by families and the pools are pretty heavily utilized by children. (Not that I have anything against the little buggers, but that's just the way it is.) The HHV bars, restaurants and shops are not the once I choose to visit, and seem to be kind of pricey compared to what is available in other parts of Waikiki, so I think you will find yourself wanting to walk down to the ones more near the center of the area.

The beach at the HHV is large and nice, but not as much fun if you are into watching the activities on the beach. The beach at the Reef is not my favorite either, but very walkable to nice parts of the beach.

One thing I do not like about the Outrigger Reef is that the pool, although a very nice area, is completely enclosed in a courtyard with the hotel surrounding it. There are no views of the water at all from the pool. I have never stayed at the HHV but based on where I know the pool is, I also don't think it's going to have much of a view.

So, those are just some of my most honest thoughts about those two hotels. I think rooms and pools are a wash. My most significant factor in favor of the Reef is location right at the end of Waikiki Beach Walk.

Again, neither is my first choice of hotels, but between those two (and especially if HHV is more expensive) is to stay with the Outrigger Reef.

Hope I didn't just add to the confusion.

Aloha

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Waikiki Beach

Thanks placebets, that's very helpful. Do you know how the Outrigger Luana compares to the Outrigger Reef in terms of rooms and pool? Im not too concerned about location