We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Sun Lounges & Umbrellas

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Booking Sun Lounges & Umbrellas

We are staying at the Moana Surfrider in January 2013 and I have been told to ensure to book sun lounges/umbrella's before we arrive as it is difficult to get one when you are there. Is this true? Any tips about getting a sunlounge without having to wake up at 6.00am every morning?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,993 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Sun Lounges & Umbrellas

Are you talking about the lounge chairs and umbrellas by the pool? You can only reserve them one day in advance I believe.

moana-surfrider.com/propertyoverview/activit…

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Sun Lounges & Umbrellas

Actually was thinking of the beach???

Seattle...
Level Contributor
246 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Sun Lounges & Umbrellas

You can rent them from Snorkel Bob's too.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Sun Lounges & Umbrellas

What are your expectations and plans for your visit to O'ahu?

Do you plan to be out and about to see the island, it's beauty, its people and its culture? Or do you plan to relax on the beach in front of your hotel?

Makes a big difference as to whether you need to fuss about lounges and umbrellas.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Sun Lounges & Umbrellas

You need to bring your own beach chairs or umbrella's to the beach. It's open to everyone, the hotels can't charge you for a lounge on a public beach.

Good suggestion to rent them from Snorkel Bob's.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Sun Lounges & Umbrellas

CABob, I don't think that is true. The public in Hawaii has access to the beach only below the high tide line. Hotels can put lounges and umbrellas above the high tide line and charge for their use.

From what I have seen the public has free access to most beaches even above the high tide line, and hotels put rental umbrellas and lounges on the beach as is their right.

Here's the law:

The public has a right of access along the beaches and shorelines in the State situated below the "upper reaches of the wash of the waves." (HRS §§ 115-4, 115-5, Revised 2010).

…hawaii.edu/public-access-rights

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,446 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Sun Lounges & Umbrellas

It is true that the hotels have a tiny sliver of beach in which to set up umbrellas and chairs for their guests. They also can charge a pretty price for them. Since the numbers are limited, I would book one in advance.

There are also beach services all along Waikiki where anyone can rent chairs and umbrellas for the day. The charges are on par with the hotels.

8. Re: Booking Sun Lounges & Umbrellas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:17