We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Honolulu too hot in August?

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Is Honolulu too hot in August?

I live in British Columbia, Canada. I've only been to Hawaii once, which was the week before Christmas. I fell in love with the weather there. It was hot but it also rained often which was so refreshing and lovely. My boyfriend and his family visit hawaii at least once a year and stay for about 2 weeks, and they want to go this year and bring me along again. They are looking into going in August.. I'm very worried about the heat. I don't do well in heat, I have a past of fainting/seizures if I'm in the sun too long.

My question is, is Hononlulu very hot in August compared to December? If yes, when would be a better time for me to go that is most similar to December but maybe a bit sooner (if they decide they don't want to wait until December)?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Honolulu too hot in August?

First of all, just about everywhere North of the equator is hotter in August than December. Including Hawaii. What you need to do is check out a weather website like Wunderground and look up historical weather data for Honolulu, then decide if the temp/humidity is too much for you. Chuck.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Honolulu too hot in August?

August in Hawaii is hot, August in Honolulu is really, really hot if the trade winds die. If you have a health issue with heat August and Sept. would not be the best time to visit. I would suggest April or May.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,083 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Honolulu too hot in August?

November through March sounds best for you. Still warm, though. And the trade winds are key.

Edited: 29 November 2013, 02:46
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,493 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Honolulu too hot in August?

The correct answer is no. Honolulu is not too hot in August. :) Las Vegas and Palm Springs are too hot in August, not Honolulu.

Hawaii is a temperate zone, the temperature doesn't vary much year round.

The difference between the coldest month of the year and the hottest month of the year is 7ºF degrees. It averages 81ºF in January and 88ºF in August as opposed to say Vancouver that has a 31ºF variance between Dec and August.

weather.com/weather/…USHI0026

West Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
74 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Honolulu too hot in August?

I am a fellow Vancouverite. In 2012 I had a short few day stay in Honolulu enroute to Sydney for a conference.

I was travelling alone and packed in lots of activities including a hike to Diamond Head and lots of walks. Yes it is the tropics, but the heat was not overwhelming at all.

I had given up on Honolulu years ago as a vacation destination and this mini-trip convinced me to convince my husband to return, which we did last December. We are heading there again this December. We love that it is a big vibrant city but there is still plenty of nature to enjoy (being from Vancouver, this is familiar to us). I say go for it.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Honolulu too hot in August?

I don't think the heat would get to you as much as the humidity would if the trades were down. I also believe April/May/June are the perfect months to visit. Our summer here in the Pacific Northwest is short, so I would prefer to stay home and enjoy our August/ September weather.

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Honolulu too hot in August?

I have been traveling to Honolulu for the past 5 years(I am a fellow Canadian from NB). One year, I did 2 trips, one being in August. I was worried about the heat as well, but it was not an issue at all. Yes, it was definitely hotter than the Winter months, but nothing unbearable and no drastic change. I would go for it for sure!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,046 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Honolulu too hot in August?

August won't be to hot, but consider getting lodging with AC.

Not a lot of difference between summer & winter.

weather.com/weather/…USHI0026

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,083 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Honolulu too hot in August?

This is a question that only you can answer. Very bright, direct sun. You know your own sensitivities. If you plan to be out walking or at the beach ... maybe not the best for you.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Honolulu too hot in August?

" I don't do well in heat, I have a past of fainting/seizures if I'm in the sun too long."

Drink plenty of water and stay out of the sun for any extended periods of time.

Do not over-exert yourself. Dress in light, cool clothing with a hat and sandals.... you should do fine.