We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

I am arriving from Chicago at 3:30 on Dec 30th, departing about the same time the following day (3:20). I'd really like to hike both Diamond Head and Koko Crater and take a 2 hour surfing lesson, but want to make sure I'm going to have time for all of that.

I was thinking I'd arrive at my hotel by 4:30, it's the Park Shore so it's right next to Diamond Head. I'll probably be pretty tired from the long flight and time change. I figure I could head over, hike up and then come back down for an early dinner, stroll around downtown Honolulu and bed. Next morning I'll probably be up well before the sun. What's the earliest bus to Koko? Would I have time to hike it and be back in time for a 10:30 surf lesson? I am very fit. What if i took a cab?

Lastly, how long should I allow for getting back to the airport in time for my flight - ie, trying to figure out the latest time I could schedule a 2 hour surf lesson and still make my flight?

Mahalo!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

The last entrance to the trail on Diamond Head is at 4:30pm so you won't make it the first day. I think you will have to make a choice of which hike is a must. You won't have time for both the next day.

As far as your flight it basically will depend on where you are flying to. Most airlines suggest 90 min. To 2 hrs. before your flight for check in. It takes about 30 min. to get from Waikiki to the airport.

Without looking at TheBus web-site, I am thinking the first bus heading toward Koko Head will be around 8:00am.

2. Re: Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 December 2013, 14:56
Edited: 04 December 2013, 14:56
Vancouver
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

I think you might have to forget Koko Head - there are early buses, but they take 1 hr 15 min to 1 1/2 hours each way to travel there. Maybe get up early and hike Diamond Head, then see if you have enough time to surf and check out of hotel, etc. when you're done. You don't have to make reservations for surfing lessons, just walk down to the beach. The day before, I bet you're going to be tired - we are and we just come from Vancouver, lol. A walk, a Mai Tai & dinner sounds perfect!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help

Oh, that is disappointing. I think of the two I'd prefer Koko Head - sounds like more of a challenge, which I like, and a pretty incredible view. Google Maps says it's only 23 miles from my hotel ... would a cab be crazy? What about renting a bike?

As for the surf lessons, I wanted to take from "Gone Surfing" after reading all the great reviews - they have an 8 am and a 10:30 am lesson available.

My flight out is only going to Kona. I can't imagine I'll need to be there more than an hour ahead. How big is Honolulu airport?

Thanks for all the info!

Virginia
Level Contributor
676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help

You most likely will need to be at least an 1.5 hour ahead. The airline will most likely require it, and also know the security lines can be very long.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help

The airport isn't all that big but like Herky5 said, the airlines, even for inter-island flights want you there 90 minutes before take off.

I would also book the surf lessons ahead of time if you want to go out with a certain company. You are coming at a very busy time.

Biking to Koko Head would be an experience in itself! Part of the road I wouldn't want to be on a bike. Taxi rates I assume would be in the 30.00-50.00 range

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help

Okay thanks for all the info! Last question: do any of you know the hours that Koko Crater Head trail is open?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,385 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help

Another consideration is the heat. In the afternoon, it could be quite hot and I believe Koko Crater is terribly hot (the botanical garden features cacti). Remember sunset is at 6:00 pm.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help

I was wanting to go first thing in the morning - hence my question about hours. Does anyone know the opening time, assuming it has hours like Diamond Head?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Help

I don' think there are hours for The Koko Head trail. I know of no gates etc. that would close this trail. Diamond Head is a State Monument, which is run by the state, thus the opening and closing hours.

There will be other people around at an early hour.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 14:52