We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours while on Oahu

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
793 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tours while on Oahu

Having mainly travelled in South East Asia previously where there are tourist booths all over the place to book tours I was wondering if there are similar tourist booths in Honolulu or would it be better/cheaper to book tours via the internet before we leave Australia? All help very much appreciated, cheers, Karen

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,049 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours while on Oahu

Kaz - this is a frequently discussed topic on this forum and just recently was one. First, most here don't recommend tours for much of anything. Second, they will drive you nuts with "tourist booths" for all kinds of things such as shows, parasailing, tours, and they are usually actually trying to get you to a time share or vacation club presentation. So I recommend that you not depend on that to book anything !

If you look at the linked post, which is still on the current first page by the way, you should get some good information. Particular post #3 from beedoo should answer many of your questions.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k698996…

If, after you read that, you still have questions, please come back and ask on here.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours while on Oahu

Karen ~ Start with answering this question: What do I want to do? Do you have a good travel guide and map for Oahu? What looks good to you?

Will you have a car or consider renting one?

If you get us started with your own ideas, we can run with it.

I'm with placebets: Not much really needs a tour ... and the on-the-bus-off-the-bus makes me nuts. I'd rather be in control of my own schedule.

And Hawaii isn't SE Asia. It's the USA and folks run around to their hearts' content.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,355 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours while on Oahu

The most popular tour companies are:

ENOA

http://www.enoa.com/

Polynesian Adventures (Polyad):

http://www.polyadhawaiitours.com/

Roberts Hawaii:

http://www.robertshawaii.com/

There are other good tour companies.

When are you going?

You can make reservations for USS Arizona Memorial and tour the other Pearl Harbor museums on your own. No need to pay for a commercial tour that includes and of the Pearl Harbor museums. And it is better to take a circle island tour on a separate day.

For USS Arizona Memorial:

www.recreation.gov/tourDetails.do…

If you are going in the near future, the dates you want for USS Arizona Memorial may not be available on the reservation site. If the tours are not available on the date you want, then consider a commercial tour circle island that includes USS Arizona Memorial. Commercial tours also have advanced reservations for USS Arizona Memorial.

See the Top Question on the right, Pearl Harbor Museums.

You can tour Chinatown/Historic Honolulu/Aloha Tower on your own. See the Top Question on the right.

You can tour National Cemetery of the Pacific on your own. See the Top Question. You'll have to do some extra walking to some of the points in the cemetery, but it's better than the commercial tours as most just do a drive through.

If you can drive on the opposite side of the road & feel comfortable doing it, consider renting a car for a couple of days. If not, then take a commercial tour.

See the Top Question, Taking the Bus. There are links to popular attractions by bus.

I think most foreign visitors that drive on the opposite side of the road use commercial tours and buses.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours while on Oahu

Okay here goes, the things that I was thinking we would do the first few days are:-

Day 1 - arrive and get acclimatised, visit the beach and generally walk around the area of Waikiki.

Day 2 - maybe do a circle Island tour - hubby is not too keen on driving on the other side of the road and if in a small tour bus group we could actually see more or he could) if not having to concentrate on driving.

Day 3 - do Pearl Harbour, USS Missouri (a must as my Dad was actually on the ship when the peace was signed, his ship was tied up next door to it and you can see his legs in some of the photos), Bowfin, Museum etc maybe on our own as that seems doable.

Day 4 - no plan as yet as our friends will have arrived

Day 5 - similar

Day 6 - embarkation on Pride of America for Cruise.

One must do I have on the list is a Canoe Wave Ride on Waikiki beach!. Maybe on Day 4 or 5 we would like to visit the Ranch and see the Movie Sites.

Edited: 14 December 2013, 04:27
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours while on Oahu

You want Enoa for the circle island tour.

When are you travelling?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours while on Oahu

Aloha,

Check out the beachboys at Aloha Beach Services for your outrigger canoe ride.

alohabeachservices.com/Aloha_Beach_Services/…

Have a great time in the isles,

Aloha

Edited: 14 December 2013, 04:39
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours while on Oahu

One thing before I forget: Are you going to have time in Honolulu after the cruise? What time is your flight back home? You may want to consider an excursion with NCL the last day ... and they will haul your luggage and take you to the airport.

Day 1 - Yep, that what most of us do.

Day 2 - I would use Enoa for a circle Island tour. OR - if you are interested in the Polynesian Cultural Center, they have a tour that ends at the Center - then you have a whole day of activities/dinner-luau ... and a great evening show. They pick up on Waikiki and take you back, too. www.polynesia.com/circle-island-tour.html

Day 3 - visiting Pearl Harbor sounds great. You can buy all day passes on-line, as well as just the Arizona Memorial slots.

Day 4 or 5 ... Kualoa Ranch. There is a ton to do there ... and they have Waikiki pick-up.

Day 6 - embarkation on Pride of America for Cruise.

I recommend that you tour Iolani Palace (I think the tours are only in the mornings and need to be reserved) - but tour or not - it's great. You can easily take the bus. Bishop Museum is another great option. Either Iolani Palace or Bishop Museum will greatly enhance your trip!

Edited: 14 December 2013, 04:46
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours while on Oahu

Thank you for all your tips. We will be travelling in September and have another 2 days in Waikiki after the cruise but then we embark on another cruise on Radiance of the Seas for our trip home, if all goes well that is - I have recently finished 6 months chemo so cannot book too far in advance as any cancellation wouldn't be covered by TI - but so far so good!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours while on Oahu

Wow, looks like a great trips and by the sounds of it you deserve it. I would be interested in your view re cruising back to OZ on radiance as we are thinking of that 2015. Also, we will be in Honolulu in Sept 2014 after a stint in Vegas.... Perhaps we might cross paths :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours while on Oahu

Friends we are going with are very frequent cruisers and have done numerous cruises on Royal Caribbean Ships and are in fact doing one on Radiance of the Seas in March so we will have lots of info about the ship before we do our cruise together. We will be in Waikiki 8th to 13th Sept and then again 20th to 22nd before we leave for home.