We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday December 2014

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday December 2014

Hi I am planning to surprise my brother and his family this Christmas with a trip to Honolulu in December 2014. There will be 6 of us including a 6 and a 4 year old. Can anyone suggest places to stay ? Is it best to get a unit or stay in a resort.? Any suggestions or tips will be appreciated. We will be taking a direct flight from Brisbane. Thanks in advance.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday December 2014

Need to give us your budget, check-in and check-out dates, and needs. Like do you want kitchen facilities, pool, views, etc. Then we can make some suggestions.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday December 2014

We like the waikiki banyan or the sunset- we have kids aged 7 and 5 and love the bedroom and kitchens. They are very economical for what you get really. Great location and great amenities. Some of the suites are privately owned....so the condos vary in condition and style. Do your research first!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday December 2014

My budget is around $10,000 to $12000 for flights and accomadation and I an hoping to travel from 8th of December and stay 8 nights. Be home at least the week before Christmas. A pool would be great and in regards to a kitchen it would be for breakfast only as evening meals would be had out. I have always travelled with breakfast included but seeing this is a larger family group maybe a kitchen would be needed? I am not sure on that one. Walking distance to food places and the beach is a must as we would not have a car.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday December 2014

You need to take your flights out of the budget. From Australia you are going to be looking at a fair amount of that budget on airfares. Hawaiian is now flying direct Brisbane - Honolulu so you would need to work out fares from Hawaiian, Jetstar and Qantas - they are the only flights direct to Oahu.

Once you have that sorted, you will have a better idea of your remaining budget for accomodation. For our family of 5 flights tend to be around $6-7k on Hawaiian depending on when we travel.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday December 2014

You may be fully aware of this already, but almost all hotels on O'ahu only allow a max of 4 persons to a room. So for six, that means two hotel rooms.

It may be that a condo rental will work best for your group. Take a look at

vrbo.com

for condo and house rentals. Well respected on this forum~~~~~~~~~

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday December 2014

<<My budget is around $10,000 to $12000 for flights and accomadation>> This doesn't help us at all, Tilly. You need to take your global budget and extract the cost of airfare, food, transportation, etc ... and come up with a nightly accomodations budget.

I agree that with 6 people you will need a condo or a suite. Condos are nice because most have washers/dryers. Great with little ones!

You will be ahead of the Christmas rush! So - you should find accomodations more affordable than over the holidays themselves. Still, you are wise to plan ahead.

There are so many fun places for breakfast in the central part of Waikiki! But - if breakfast included interested you - consider the Embassy Suites. Great location and excellent buffet breakfast each morning.

Here is a rough map of Waikiki hotels/condos. discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

Bendigo
Level Contributor
894 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday December 2014

You really do need to separate airfares from 'the rest'. Your airfares will vary between say Jetstar specials and the increased costs should you be looking at school holidays. From Broadbeach I presume you will be flying Hawaiian Airlines from Brisbane which will be approx $1200per person to $1600+ in school holidays. Jetstar specials are from Melbourne and Sydney. If outside of s/holidays you should get on the email listings for all airlines and be nice and quick with your bookings. When you have the accommodation, entertainment, activities, tourism $$$ detailed that will give the wonderful posters (who we have relied on so much in the past) and who know Hawaii so well to help you.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday December 2014

Early December is THE least expensive time to visit Hawaii. Your money will go farther for lodgings, air and rental cars then.

This site has aerials and reviews of almost every lodging in the state: www.hawaiirevealed.com

Guatemala City...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Family holiday December 2014

There might be other ways to find lodging, maybe there are families who host tourists?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family holiday December 2014

The embassy suits is great for families we have stayed there 3 times with the family