We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu Early March Itinerary

Toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Oahu Early March Itinerary

Hi,

We are a group of 5 with 3 adults and 2 8-year old kids. We are flying from the east coast and will stay at Waikiki for 3 nights before heading out to big island. Please help to review the itinerary to see if it is doable?

Oahu Island Itinerary:

Day 1 (Saturday):

=> Leaving airport at around 3:30 p.m.

=> Check in hotel at around 4pm

=> Buy some milk & water

=> Waikiki beach

=> Shower

=> Dinner at Duke's Canoe Club / Duke's Waikiki (2335 Kalakaua Avenue (808) 922-2268)

=> Hula Show at 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Kuhio Beach Hula Mound, near Duke Kahanamoku statue, beachside at Uluniu & Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki.

Day 2 (Sunday):

=> Eat an early breakfast

=> diamond head

=> Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve

=> Lanai Lookout

=> Waimanalo Beach

=> Byodo-in Temple

=> Kailua Beach/Lanikai Beach

=> Nu'uanu Pali Lookout

=> Back to Waikiki

=> Hula show at 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Kuhio Beach Hula Mound, near Duke Kahanamoku statue, beachside at Uluniu & Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki.

Day 3 (Monday):

=> Pearl Habour

=> China town for food

=> Dole plantation/Haleiwa town/Waimea Bay/Sunset beach loop (optional)

=> Waikiki (free time)

Day 4 (Tuesday)

=> Fly to big island in the early morning

Thanks

Aamom

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,321 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Duke's Waikiki
Duke's Waikiki
12,179 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
481 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kalakaua Ave
Kalakaua Ave
130 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve
Hanauma Bay Nature...
14,143 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lanai lookout
Lanai lookout
53 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
586 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Byodo-In Temple
Byodo-In Temple
1,436 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua Beach Park
Kailua Beach Park
2,555 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,593 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,891 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Waimea Bay
Waimea Bay
1,001 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu Early March Itinerary

Looks pretty good to me!! Just makes sure you get early reservations at Dukes. They are crazy busy on Saturdays. Book at least a couple of weeks in advance.

Do you plan on hiking Diamond Head or snorkeling at Hanauma Bay?

When going up to the north shore, go to the beaches first, you will enjoy seeing them then go into Haleiwa for lunch and the Dole Plantation on the way back to Waikiki.

Get your free tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial in advance on line. They charge 1.50 per ticket for processing. You will need to arrive an hour before your tour time to pick up the tickets.

www.recreation.gov

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,120 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,891 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
USS Arizona Memorial
USS Arizona Memorial
23,057 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu Early March Itinerary

Day two looks way too hectic! I'd recommend cutting out two of the three of Waimanalo/Byodo/Kailua and spend some quality time at the one you keep in your itinerary.

I'd also suggest you add a catamaran sail to day three.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu Early March Itinerary

Thanks AlandRoberta. I will take Waimanalo out but want to keep Byodo and Kailua. I hope it is doable.

Aamom

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,153 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu Early March Itinerary

I do agree that you cannot stop at both, Waimanalo & Kailua beaches for quality time at the beach. Use Kailua Beach for some quality time.

You can still stop at Waimanalo Bay Recreation Area for a few minutes. It is just off the highway.

Diamond Head & Hanauma Bay are doable the same morning. You need to get to Hanauma Bay by 8:30am on weekends/holidays to ensure parking.

It takes about 20-25 minutes from Diamond Head parking area to Hanauma Bay. Make it 30 minutes to be safe.

One hour to hike Diamond Head roundtrip including 10 minutes at the top.

You will need to start the Diamond Head hike by 7am to get to Hanauma Bay by 8:30am.

Halona Blowhole & Halona Cove are just past Lanai Lookout. Stop there for a few minutes (same parking area for both).

Try to add National Cemetery of the Pacific. You can go there after USS Arizona Memorial.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 20:01
Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua Beach Park
Kailua Beach Park
2,555 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,120 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Halona Blowhole
Halona Blowhole
572 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lanai lookout
Lanai lookout
53 Reviews
Oahu, HI
USS Arizona Memorial
USS Arizona Memorial
23,057 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu Early March Itinerary

You already have a couple good suggestions above, but I think you are trying to pack too much into each day, especially travelling with kids!

For instance, on your first day alone; arrive at hotel by 4:00, get some groceries, go to the beach, AND get done dinner at Duke's in time for the 6:30 Hula Show? It won't be the end of the world if you miss the show that night, but just be aware that everything is going to take longer in Hawaii than you think it will so this probably isn't going to work out.

I think you'll also end up needing to trim some things out of day two as well, again, especially with kids. They might want to just hang out at one of the beaches you mention after a morning of hiking and snorkeling.

Day three sounds reasonable, but I think you'll be doing some back & forth driving heading to Pearl Harbor then back to China Town before heading to Dole. And just a tip for the Dole Plantation, if you buy tickets for the train ride make sure both trains are running. In a recent trip report I mentioned that we bought tickets right before they started lunch break and ended up waiting around for 40+ minutes to do the 20 minute train ride, which wasn't really worth it:(

Just be open to being flexible and changing plans/dropping things as you go as time gets short is my advice.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
150 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,891 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu Early March Itinerary

Thanks TrvLngGrl and everyone's advice. We actually will not do any snorkeling, so we will make a short stop at Hanauma bay. We will catch the hula show on day 2 if we missed on day 1.

Mentioned in this post
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,120 Reviews
Oahu, HI
7. Re: Oahu Early March Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:19