We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Counting nights?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Counting nights?

I see this mentioned a lot, and I never understand why. Why should I count my nights not my days?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Counting nights?

You are allowed to count what ever you want. Chuck.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Counting nights?

I think its because your arrival and departure days are only partial. You can't really plan a lot on those days most of the time.

3. Re: Counting nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 January 2014, 21:27
Minnesota
Level Contributor
582 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Counting nights?

I have always wondered why that continues to get repeated over and over here. I agree with Chuck. Count how ever you wish. It's your vacation. I fully intend to count my days ;). We land early and don't fly out till almost midnight. We get an extra full day.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 21:29
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,643 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Counting nights?

Though I don't agree with the poster who does say this a lot completely-I agree that often the first day is a wash. You have been up since 0000 dark-thirty, traveling, and are tired.

If you have a red eye flight out-do yourselves a favor and book an extra day at the hotel. That way you aren't homeless from checkout at 11 or so until your flight.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,344 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Counting nights?

IMO, counting one's nights lends a more accurate perspective of the trip's length. It is especially helpful to the reader if the poster is thinking of doing more than one Island. Talking in terms of "nights" provides a clearer communication that has less chance for misinterpretation.

For instance if a traveller has a total of 12 nights and is planning 4 nights Oahu and 8 nights Big Island ( 2 nights East & 6 nights West)....there is little confusion as to the plan.

The arrival /departure time plays into it very little IMO....it is what it is......Many travellers coming from the Mainland have very little steam on arrival day to be counting it in the mix.....but are up and at'em the next morning.

Safe Travels.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Counting nights?

That clears things up a bit. :) We always fly in from Anchorage on the 12:30 am to PDX then we arrive on Oahu at 10:40 am. We don't fly out of HNL until almost 9 pm so it's a whole extra day. The days are the best part of Hawaii.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,643 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Counting nights?

Wander........I was thinking about folks who book a luau or something for their first 'night' in Hawaii. We're saying the same thing..............

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Counting nights?

I think it would be different if I were coming in from the East Coast. I don't think I could handle those long flights. I'm spoiled that I can be there in about 8 hours total.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Counting nights?

I count nights. We land at 3pm. Fly out on last day around 3pm. Those days are a wash really.