We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for travel to Oahu and Volcano in January 2015

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle, AU
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for travel to Oahu and Volcano in January 2015

Hi I am hoping to stop over in Oahu for up to 8 days in early January 2015 with my two children aged 10 and 14. Can anyone suggest a beach side location that is not on Waikiki that would be suitable. We don't mind rustic if beach access is good and are happy to be away from the Waikiki strip as we will hire a car and are not into shopping or nightlife.

We are open to hotels or holiday rentals.

I would like to go to Volcano for 2 nights or do I need three to make it worthwhile.

Many thanks.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for travel to Oahu and Volcano in January 2015

I'd want to stay south (Waiiki) in January. There is one condo on the beach: Waikiki Shores. The Ilikai is also an option -- off to one side of the strip; hotel and condo options there. Also Ilikai Marina.

Volcanoes National Park will be quite cool and rainy in January. One or two nights there should do it for you. While Hilo has some cheap lodgings, it would be nice to stay in Volcano. Or, there is a daytrip tour out of HNL.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,940 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for travel to Oahu and Volcano in January 2015

8 days is short to subtract 2-3 to go to the Big Island. If it's just the volcano you are interested in, it's possible to do that on an organized day tour from Oahu.

Other than a couple places on the North Shore, I don't think there are hotels on the beach, not in Waikiki. I'd also choose staying in Waikiki because there are so many more options. Other than that you probably need to look into a vacation home rental.

suze

St. Louis
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for travel to Oahu and Volcano in January 2015

Look on VRBO.com for cottage rentals in Waimanalo or Kailua.

I personally like Waimanalo better. It has a more local feel to it, and the beach is never crowded, and so beautiful.

We have stayed at many rentals in Waimanalo and have never had a problem with the area, or the rentals themselves.

In fact we are leaving on the 19th of this month for a 10 day visit, and are staying in a cottage we've rented before. Here are 2 that we've stayed in and might suit your needs, VRBO # 30261 and # 24737

Hope you find just what you're looking for, and have a great time.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for travel to Oahu and Volcano in January 2015

When looking for rentals know that Waimanalo and Waimanalo Beach are the same

Edited: 08 January 2014, 22:16
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for travel to Oahu and Volcano in January 2015

In December, we stayed on Oahu's North Shore in a condo, Kuilima #108 East, rented through VRBO (number 52066). It was about a 10-15 minute walk to the beach, across the golf course. It was a two-bedroom, 2-bath fully furnished condo, for $199/night, convenient to all the beautiful areas of the North Shore. There was a cove perfect for snorkeling at Turtle Bay resort, another 10-15 minute walk or even shorter drive.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,020 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for travel to Oahu and Volcano in January 2015

I wouldn't spend the money and time to go with a family of four to VNP from another island in winter for a variety of reasons. The weather is cold and often very rainy in and around VNP making hiking unpleasant and obscuring any nighttime lava viewing. Accessible surface lava flows, ocean entry, etc, even when happening (which they are not currently) usually are too difficult to access for children. And finally the time and expense involved in island hopping is too great to justify moving islands with a family with only a week. I would either spend the whole 8 days on the BI or Oahu, but not both.

C B
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
479 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for travel to Oahu and Volcano in January 2015

Both the Courtyard and The Marriott are in Waikiki, Courtyard is cheaper, but a bit longer to the beach. Marriott is across from the beach, as well as an easy walk to the Zoo and Aquarium. You can get trolly cars outside the hotels to a variety of places if you feel it is too far to walk. There are many fast food places as well as nicer restaurants near to both.

We've also done rentals and that is a great way to go with kids. The Kailua, Waimanolo, Lanikai towns are good places to find a rental. They are further away to visit historical things, Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, But it would be easy to get to Sea Life Park from either of these towns. Air B&B or VRBO is the best way to go.

I agree with others that trying to fit in another island might be pushing too much. Experience all of Oahu takes a while and I'm sure your children will want to spend a lot of time on the beach. If you definitely want to go to the Big Island, I'd also suggest a one-day trip.

8. Re: Suggestions for travel to Oahu and Volcano in January 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2015, 05:16