We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
265 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

We will be staying 3 nights before our 7 night stay at Kings Land. I've been researching hotels for weeks but I am starting to really feel overwhelmed! Can anyone help me narrow down my choices? I'm considering Hotwire for the ease of just booking a 4 star somewhere to remove all of the indecision but the value-seeker in me isn't convinced that will be the best deal; can you help?

My dates are May 15-18.

My basic itinerary is 1 day PCC/island stops on the way there, 1 day explore/beach, and 1 day WWII memorials/museums then fly to KOA. I'm planning on getting a rental car so parking fees are a consideration.

While it is most definitely not a requirement, our usual preference is smaller boutique hotels with updated room decor (ie, no polyester floral bedspreads). Don't really care about pool or view. Location is the big unknown factor for me; with our itinerary I'm not sure it matters much but I don't have an intuitive feel for which location would be best as I've had when I've planned trips to DC or NYC.

My budget is ~$150-200/night and so far the best bet is looking to be Shoreline--the updated room decor appealed to me immediately, as well as the lack of resort fees (AAA rate is $182 after tax). Hyatt Place also appealed to me visually and the included breakfast and potentially cheaper parking may make the over budget price tag worth it ($235). Hotel Renew is $190 after resort fee and taxes.

Am I missing other comparable hotels that might be a little nicer or a better value? Any help is much appreciated!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

Not having stayed at any of them I would say skip the Renew and go with one of the others. I myself would choose the Shoreline it was very recently renovated I like the Joie de Vrie brand there hotels tend to be very nice and hip.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

The hotels you have lists are not 4* ... not even close. Probably 2* ... maybe the Hyatt may be a 3*. That's the problem with * ratings ... they are completely subjective. Hotwire wants you to think you got a real bargain.

Of the three, I would opt for the Hyatt ... the Shoreline ... and never Hotel Renew. The Hyatt has been renovated completely (!) - like the wall stripped down - less than 2 years ago. Shoreline is an older building recently renovated by a company call JDV - prominent on Mainland USA for restoring old properties in major cities. Excellent reputation.

Here is a rough map of Waikiki hotels. discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

Am I missing other comparable hotels that might be a little nicer or a better value? Any help is much appreciated!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

Agree that your selections are not 4 star.

3 1/2 star hotels seem to be in the $200 a night range.

Fabulous view but a bit worn would be the Park Shore. Such an amazing view of the ocean and Diamondhead and it would be in your budget.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

Sorry if I'm slow, but I have a question - are you actually staying three nights? Or two?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

The Shoreline is the newest and is in a great location I think and the Hyatt Place is new-ish and not a bad location at all.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

I think Scott means that the Shoreline is the most recent renovation - not that the building is new. Been open maybe 6 months? The Hyatt ... again ... intensive renovation ... probably opened around 2 years ago. Again - skip Hotel Renew.

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
265 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

"Sorry if I'm slow, but I have a question - are you actually staying three nights? Or two?"

3 nights-checking in Thurs, checking out Sunday.

When I mentioned booking a 4 star on Hotwire I am aware that Hotwire's idea of a 4* is not the standard industry's idea of 4* (Which is also kind of arbitrary if you ask me).

How about the Sheraton Waikiki? While I don't have enough starwood points to cover all 3 nights, I could get 2 nights and pay for the 3rd. And while the resort fee is high, it does look like it includes self-parking (man these fees make it tough to compare apples to apples!)

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've crossed Hotel Renew off my list.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

The Sheraton ... it's up to you. Make sure that you get a good room, though. You may get a better view and room at the Hyatt Place or Shoreline. It's all about trade offs - lots of variables.

I like the Waikiki Parc. And look at the Outrrigger Reef as well.

Note that Waikiki is densely developed, so many hotels have rooms that are smack across from other buildings. You need to dig into the hotel websites to really see what's what.

With this website ... if you scroll down and click, you can get aerial views. Their commentary and rating ... I disregard. hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

You can always - and please do - scroll through the beach-front hotels ... eat, shop, gawk.

One more thing - before you book through Hotwire, call the hotel and see if they will meet your price, and ask them questions about their options. If you book through the hotel, you will be their customer ... not Hotwire's.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 22:34
Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
265 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

Now that my trip is closer, I am rechecking rates. When I originally booked, Hyatt Place had dropped down so I booked there, but now Shoreline has dropped much lower so I am tempted to change my reservation. Would you all tend to agree that is a good call?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shoreline, Hotel Renew, Hyatt Place--overwhelmed with hotel!

I would choose The Shoreline over the Hyatt Place because I like the location better and the rooftop pool, but don't take my word as gospel :)