We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese New Year festival jan 31-February 1

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chinese New Year festival jan 31-February 1

This event takes place day after arrival to honolulu (happens to be my 16 year old sons bday). I am wondering how hard we should try to get to this since we will be going out for dinner and hope to see HHV fireworks fri nite too. If anyone has any experience with this festival I'd appreciate options. Thx!

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese New Year festival jan 31-February 1

Shelley, when are you arriving? The 2014 Chinese Lunar New Year Celebration with Lion Dance is on January 24, 2014, Friday downtown Chinatown starting at 6:00 pm. There will be lion dance groups visiting various businesses in the Chinatown area. The businesses will lite fireworks as a symbol of good luck for the new year. Lots of fireworks and the beating of the drums for the lion dance.

On Saturday, January 25, 2014, Night in Chinatown Street Festival begins at 9 am until 11 pm. 5,000 + is expected for food, Chinese new year's tee-shirt (Year of the Horse) and lots of souvenirs.

Also, on January 25th, there is a Night in Chintown Parade starting from Richards Street (Iolani Palace) down Hotel Street to Smith Street where the parade will end. Parade is from 4 to 6 pm.

The celebration in Chinatown is one in a life time opportunity for visitors, unless, you are a constant visitor during Chinese New Year. Your son will enjoy the different type of fireworks display. Go dinner another night. Enjoy one of many ethnic groups celebration.

My suggestion & recommendation. I'll be there.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese New Year festival jan 31-February 1

Thanks for your reply Islekane! What you described sounds fabulous! But unfortunately we don't arrive until jan 30 th. We will be there for "Chinese new year festival" though scheduled jan 31st and February 1. I will attempt at pasting link....

http://www.chinatownhi.com/?q=node/648

If the week before is that exciting, probably this weekend will be too?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese New Year festival jan 31-February 1

Please read my reply Islekane. Thx!

Edited: 15 January 2014, 18:16
Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese New Year festival jan 31-February 1

Shelley, the actual Chinese New Year Celebration where they close Mauna kea Street, Pauahi Street and Smith Street is the weekend of January 24th & 25th, with the lion dance with fireworks on the 24th and the actual street festivities on the 25th with the parade in the early evening. Friday on the 24th is merely for the lion dance troupe to visit business that would like a blessing from the lion and the action with entertainment, food, souvenirs and so forth is on the 25th.

The weekend festival that you talking about at the end of the month will be sponsored by the Chinese Cultural Center, corner of Maunakea and N. Beretania Street. Not much, but, merchants within the cultural center will take part. The Chinese new year action is the weekend of the 24th & 25th.

Hope this helps.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese New Year festival jan 31-February 1

Thanks, that helps clear things up. I really appreciate your response. Mahalo!

6. Re: Chinese New Year festival jan 31-February 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:20