We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

I have been playing around with Flights as we plan to go to Hawaii in April

The flights coming home from Hawaii are substantially cheaper one week before school holidays ends, rather than the end of school holidays when we plan to return. I dont quiet understand why that is!

I have checked seating on both Airlines and they are only 1 quarter full so far for the dates we would like to leave and return. Do you think that prices still may come down considering there are still plenty of seats left, or shall we bite the bullet and book?

I was always under the impression that prices went up closer to your departure date.

Our dates are 31/03/14 - 28/04/14.

Thanks Guys :)

Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
89 reviews
from US$85.88*
Pearl Harbor Tour From Honolulu
117 reviews
from US$42.93*
Big Island Day Trip: Volcanoes...
417 reviews
from US$467.28*
Special Offer
Oahu Grand Circle Island Day Tour...
631 reviews
from US$80.31*
US$100.40
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

Have a look at www.skyscanner.net and compare airfares for your dates if you haven't already. Are you flexible with your dates or are they locked in??

I am not aware of any current or upcoming sales, but would book as soon as you can, when and if you are happy with the prices you see, especially seeing as Australian school holidays are around April.

Good luck and happy planning!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

Thanks so much, prices have been consistent, I have checked with everyone including sky scanner.

Some days they are up and some down. We definitely will book soon. Just thought it was strange that prices were cheaper coming home during school holidays , rather than after.

sydney
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

When is Easter?

School holiday travelling is always going to be expensive - I wouldn't gamble on a price drop.

We booked for September holidays back in November paid $1250 - with Hawaiian - has since gone up to $1600+

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

Unfortunatly because a lot of people can only take holidays during school breaks, and will take advantage of this and take the full break. They won't return half through school holidays, but at the end or a couple days give or take. Airlines realise this, people will pay if they have no option to go any other time.

If that's the only time you can go, I'd book sooner rather than later. They will go up and down a little. More than likely up as it gets closer, being around school holidays.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

Sometimes you just have to book. We are going again in April but leaving a couple of days before school breaks up and coming home middle of the last week.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

Don't forget that the different states all take holidays around the same time but many overlap by a week or two. What you might perceive as been during your state's school holidays might actually be the start or finish of another state's holiday period.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

Have you looked on Jetstar's Australia Day Sale, your dates might be included.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

If you want/need to travel during school holidays - you simply have to be prepared to pay the additional $$$ the airlines charge for that period. We are tied to school holidays every second year when we take the whole family and over the years I think we could have bought a beach house for the airfares paid. The alternate years when we travel as a couple the airfares can be half that of S/holiday time. We are flying out on April 6th and booked these flights last September. If just we two oldies I totally rely on the Jetstar/Hawaiian/Qantas emails giving notice of sales when dates really don't matter.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

Just to give my 2 cents on this one.

I would highly recommend Hawaiian over Jetstar. Once you pay for all the extras (luggage, meals, pillows, TV, etc...) you can end up paying the same or more.

As far as seat comfort and service goes, Hawaiian wins hands down. One of the best airlines I have flown in a very long time. All new Airbus A330 planes, and much nicer seats than Jetstar.

There is also the option to do a web checkin 48 hours before you go, and pay $70 for an upgrade to the front rows if you want. Very good deal considering the extra space.

Just do the sums with all the extras to be sure, but for service you just can't beat them.

SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
406 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights with Jetstar and Hawaiian

We are here at the moment, flew with Hawaiin. Our fares kept going up the closer it got to our dates and then completly sold out. We paid $1200 each and a few weeks before we left the price was over $2500.

If you are looking at seats available, this is not a true indication of sold seats. We booked thru a travel agent and they couldn't pick the seats for us, so I emailed Hawaiin to pick seats. I had a look at what was free and sent them a number of choices. So if people have gone thru a travelagent or site that wont allow you to pick seats their seats are not allocated yet.

We too were amazed that we could get school holidays cheap, but they had a sale with flights after the 17th Jan cheap compared to other dates after Christmas.

Flew Jetstar last year and Hawaiin is better if they are close in price. Hawaiin 2x32kg luggage free, food dinner and breakfast on the way here, they dont cancel and change flights like Jetstar.