We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

I am trying not to be sad that for the 1 st week of our trip nothing but rain and wind in forecast.. Totally didn't see this coming...for a whole week! We were looking forward to surfing (well, my kids, lol!,) and being outdoors. I guess I knew this could happen but didn't expect it since when I was a kid and visited 3 times I have NO memory of it raining while there!

So, just wondering what you're keeping busy with. Are you able to be on beach at all?

Virginia
Level Contributor
667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

This thread has been updated with weather related comments recently:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k716020…

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

Ala Moana Shopping Center has some Chinese New Year events that you could go to:

alamoanacenter.com/Events/Chinese-New-Year

Your kids can still surf in the rain so long as it is not downpour and the water is not murky.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

We have been to the Hawaiian Islands many times. Over the years I have found it better to not look at the weather before we leave, it can be very unreliable. Showers are common at dawn and dusk and some websites will report that as rain. Enjoy the anticipation of the vacation and don't worry about the weather.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

It's drop dead gorgeous today....

Perfectt at the marina this morning.

Hope it holds through the weekend.

But forecast is very mixed into next week.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

The biggest problem we've had is yesterday getting stuck in traffic in the middle lane of the H1 with the top down and suddenly the drizzle (can you call it drizzle when the sun is shining?) turned into a real shower and it took us about 5 minutes to get to the side of the road and put the top up! Today it is beautiful and we're about to venture out and do an around Oahu driving tour and check on the rest of the island. The weather hasn't ruined any of our plans but then we're not folks to spend the whole day and the beach or the pool. Besides, it' s like 40-50 degrees colder in NY so I am just amusing myself posting sunny and warm Hawaii pictures on Facebook and annoying my friends and family back home! Don't worry...be happy...and have another Mai Tai!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

Those are great ideas! Thanks everyone! May check out the Chinese celebrations Saturday at Ala Moana if weather is rainy. AND I DEFINATELY LIKE THE IDEA OF ANOTHER MAI TAI Frank3!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,366 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

Just because a forecast says rain, it is highly unlikely for it to rain 24/7 and ruin your vacation.

I never look at weather forecasts before a trip.

suze

Malibu
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

As a general rule of thumb see what the wind direction is. NE and E are the prevailing trades which commonly will push mountain showers and then much sunshine and "regular" Hawaiian weather.

It's the S Kona winds which are more likely to have a persistent weather event.

Lots to do in paradise regardless.

Amberloo can always be depended upon for accurate info.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 21:18
Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

It has been just an incredible day in Oahu! Sunny warm cloudless around the coast, but as we got in the higher elevations we got into some clouds and a dark one dropped some sprinkles on us, but right now we're sitting on our lanai at the HHV and could not ask for a better evening! 5:50 and 78 and sunny! Having a drink and listening to the waves and strains of Hawaiian music from Tropics below! It don't get much better than this!!

10. Re: To those in Oahu.....How Are You Making Out in the Rain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 07:18