We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about the Chart House

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,897 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about the Chart House

Way back in the 70s-80s it was one of our favorite restaurants - they always seemed to nail the locations with the best views.

So when Shelly said she was going to the Chart House tonight, I went to their website to see where it was (how could I have missed it in all my trips to Oahu?).

NO Chart House in Hawaii on the Chart House website.

YES a Chart House in Hawaii when you just look up "Chart House" in Hawaii on TA.

So it's not part of the original company any more? What are the differences?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,505 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about the Chart House

I'm not sure it was originally opened as part of the chain.....

But, if so, it had been independent for some time before the chain closed down its restaurants in Hawaii in about 2000.

Because the chain was started by a local boy (pretty famous surfer), most Chart Houses across the country have a strong Hawaii-Pacific influence and a nice pupu list, so there are a lot of general similarities.

The mainland ones typically have more fresh fish and steak/chop offerings and fewer pupus, and the Waikiki one has some more local-style tastes, and is of course more pricey (being in Hawaii).

Edited: 01 February 2014, 01:16
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about the Chart House

While I admitt we enjoyed our dinner at the Chart House in Dec., food was good, but we were seated in the bar and it was more than a bit noisy, customers were rude, and service was less than stellar. On the other hand we had several fun breakfasts at the Harbor Pub, next door! Now that's a fun local place!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42,570 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about the Chart House

The only two Chart House restaurants, with which I was familiar (Haleiwa and Kane`ohe) are now Haleiwa Joe's. Back in the CH days, we enjoyed both.

We also knew several CH's on the Mainland, and they were fairly good, for what they were - up-scale, mini-chain restaurants. Most are now gone.

There can be all sorts of differences, between restaurants, often with the same name, or very similar, between Hawai`i and the Mainland. Take Roy Yamaguchi's Roy's Hawaiian Cuisine, as a for instance. In Hawai`i, Chef Yamaguchi has a corporation, separate from his alliance with Outback Steakhouse, on the Mainland. I am not sure about his Asian restaurants?

Sometimes, one will see a restaurant in region X, that has the same name as one in region Y, but the corporations, that own each, might be very different - confusing? Yes, and often greatly so.

Good luck,

Hunt

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about the Chart House

Found this in the entertainment book.

http://charthousewaikiki.com/

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about the Chart House

We had dinner there last night and enjoyed it. Had a table for two overlooking the marina and all the tables that overlook the marina are tables for two. A nice menu and liked the fact that they had choices in most entrees for a smaller version. We had the 5 oz Garlic steak and it was yummy. All entrees come with a choice of salad or clam chowder and a choice of starch. My wife had the french fries and for $1.95 more I had a loaded baked potato. A nice meal. If you drive, pull into the garage next to Red Lobster (not the marina parking) and with a validation from the restaurant the cost will be $5.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about the Chart House

The Landry's corp (Tilman Fertitta) bought out all the Chart Houses in the US several years ago, but the one in Oahu wasn't in the deal. Thank God, because almost anything Landry's owns is the picture of mediocrity

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about the Chart House

Amen, Rex!

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about the Chart House

I don't know but the one we have in Jersey is pretty darn good :)

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about the Chart House

The Chart House in Malibu does not get good reviews, so I've never been. Just too much good food in LA to bother! But I always make a few visits a year to Duke's in Malibu, especially when I'm missing Hawaii.

I think Chuck's Steakhouse is another confusing company. They are primarily located in Connecticut, but have a couple of Chuck's in Hawaii, Oahu being home to the first one. I don't believe Chuck's Cellar is part of the corporation. In CT, those Chuck's are (or at least were) THE place to hang out, especially the one by UConn. Boy, the bloody mary's I consumed there in the huge converted barn of a restaurant.

http://www.chuckssteakhouse.com/

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused about the Chart House

I grew up with the So CA Chart Houses ... and I do recall that they were one of the first restaurants with a salad bar. I always filled up on salad and had no room for my entree.