We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
480 reviews
Save Topic
Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

Many decades ago, my husband & I enjoyed jazz at many lounges/bars at various hotels around Waikiki/Honolulu. Then, the karaoke invasion hit the area.:(

Are there any places where we can go to have a couple of cocktails & listen to live jazz?

My husband will not go to a place that has a dress code. He refuses to wear a tie. LOL!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

There is a group I first saw on the hisessions website which is a good way to hear and find out about Hawaiian artists. There name is Mango Season they are a husband and wife group plus two they have a jazz vibe not strictly jazz but I thought they were good.

They play at Lulu's in Waikiki every wed. from 6-9 I am planning on going to see them on our trip in May.

Here is the website where you can check them out and other artists.

www.hisessions.com

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,045 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

Condu - you may want to do a search on the Oahu Forum (which includes the Honolulu Forum) and type in jazz. Sort by date, and see what you come up with. We do get this question from time to time. Good luck!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,468 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

Jazz Minds....

A club located on Kapiolani Blvd, near the Convention Center, just outside Waikiki.

http://www.honolulujazzclub.com/

Downtown/Chinatown has several venues including Dragon Upstairs.

On Wednesday they have great Jazz at Gordon Biersch at Aloha Tower featuring some awesome visiting musicians.

Thursday night at Harbor Pub (a really fun place on the marina) they have a very talented band that plays a diverse mix of jazz, blues, folk and obscure rock.

The Signature on top the Ala Moana Hotel (incredible view and fantastic happy hour) has the best jazz pianist in town week-nights starting about 6.

For more stuff, see:

http://www.honolulujazzscene.com/

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

amberloo: Thank you for this info on the jazz scene in the area. Not only do you have a wonderfully diverse palate, it seems that you have a great ear, as well.:)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

UNCMOM2011 & BLBL: Thank you for more great info on the jazz & music scene. I will explore all the options. I love blues, as well.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

Lewers Lounge at the Halekulani

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

davewaikiki85: Does the Halekulani have require a specific dress code?

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

I believe they do have a dress code.

"Lewers Lounge is open nightly from 7:30 pm to 1:00 am. Enjoy llve entertainment 8:30 pm to midnight, Sunday through Thursday and 8:30 pm to 12:30 am, Friday & Saturday.

Attire: Evening attire for the ladies. No t-shirts, shorts or beachwear. Dress shirt, slacks and covered shoes for gentlemen."

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

We have stopped in after dining at Orchids and it is a "dressier" ambiance. Nice place!

10. Re: Jazz Bars/Lounges In Waikiki/Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 06:18