We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

We are planning our trip to Honolulu at the end of May, and I have been doing some searching for a hire car option.

Many TA members have recommended DHCR, and we have looked at a few quotes.

In most cases Alamo seems to come up the cheapest, and I was wanting to know if anyone knew why? Do they pile on other extras when you pickup/ drop-off the car that we should be aware of?

They just seem to always be a good 20% less than other quotes from the major venders.

if anyone can give us some more insight to this and if they have had any direct experience renting from them it would be great.

FYI- we will be looking to pickup and drop off the car at the airport.

Thanks

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

Alamo on Oahu is located off the airport and is not subject to the same fees that the other rental companies have to charge their customers. Besides that, they just tend to undercut the other rental agencies in general - which is why I almost always rent from them where ever I go. Reserve from the web site that gives you the lowest rates - some times its DHCR and some times its Alamo directly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

Thanks for that.

I though a lot of the hire companies were off site where you needed to get a shuttle?

Is Alamo the only one that you need to get a shuttle bus for? If so, how long does it take to get there?

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

No added fees once you pick up, unless u decide to purchase insurance,GPS, etc... Used them before and never had a problem.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,240 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

All the major rental companies offer a shuttle (to/from), none more than a 5 minute ride, way better than dragging bags down the sidewalk!

You can continue to check for a better rental rate, even with DHCR. They had us with Alamo, then Thrifty.

3Chihuahuas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

We've used them http://www.carrentalhawaii.com a few times now and the car was from Alamo and we had no problem. Includes all the insurance us Aussies need.

Houston
Level Contributor
293 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

I just discovered DHCR this morning thanks to my trusty TA's tips. Thanks for asking this question tcollins. I too wondered why Alamo was so much cheaper

3Chihuahuas--you mentioned the shutte service Anyone know if this is easily marked? Is there anything I should know about how to locate said shuttle? Would I have to wait a while to get a ride?

Thanks

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

Just follow the signs for rental car shuttle after you claim your luggage. The shuttles are clearly marked with the name of the rental car company, you can't miss them. As to how long, it all depends on how busy they are. I have been lucky and never had to wait too long for the shuttles.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

Hmm...I don't know, when we were there last month I saw zero signage in baggage claim and ultimately had to find someone to ask. I thought HLN was one of the worst airports I have ever seen in terms of clear info on where to go. Ulimately it was just go out to the middle roadway and flag down your company's bus, but again that wouldn't have been clear had I not asked. We rented from Hertz on property and frankly it was the worst Hertz service I have had in years. Next time DHCR!

Houston
Level Contributor
293 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

thanks for the info

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo rentals through Discount Hawaiian Car Rentals- issues?

I had no issues with Alamo through DHCR at their Waikiki location.

As everyone else has said - the only way that you'd increase the rate quoted on the site is if you were to add optional extras like GPS or insurance. One optional extra that you may (and I stress may) consider is pre-paying the refueling on your return.

They had offered us a rate of $21 for the refueling for a one-day rental, which is about 5 gallons of fuel. Ultimately, I declined, because I calculated the actual charge would be around $16-17 (it was $17 even :))