We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation for 8 Nights Waikiki or split with elsewhere?

Canterbury
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation for 8 Nights Waikiki or split with elsewhere?

We are a retired couple who have decided on a last minute 14 day break in Hawaii from New Zealand. Leave NZ on 23 March.We have Decided to have 6 days on Big Island and have booked airfares.

I Have responded to several advertisements for condos which clearly show available for our dates but no one has replied is this due to not being US citizens?? Do really not want to spend more than $200 US a night if possible as don't intend to spend too much time in the hotel.

After reading posts I think a rental car would be an advantage so wonder if we should split some of our time and not stay in Waikiki for 8 nights but if not suggestions welcome. Have frequently driven in USA and Europe so no issues with steering wheel being on the other side of the car!!!

Look forward to some expert opinions and options.

Have very little planned but starting!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,045 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation for 8 Nights Waikiki or split with elsewhere?

Betty ... I'm having a little trouble following you.

Are you asking if 1) how you should split your nights in Hawaii? 13 nights?

2) What are other low-cost accomodations on the Big Island? You will need a car on the Big Island no matter where you stay. (You should ask about this on the Big Island of Hawaii Forum.)

3) Should you rent a car and split your nights on Oahu? I'll answer that now: sure, if you want to. But you may have problems finding accomodations outside of Honolulu for that price. The vast, vast majority of accomodations on Oahu are in Honolulu. There are a few relatively expensive (or actually expensive!) resorts around the Island.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation for 8 Nights Waikiki or split with elsewhere?

I'd just get a hotel room in Waikiki for your Oahu time. March is coming up quick, and that's a lot more straight-forward than trying to rent a condo privately. Plenty of hotel rooms offer kitchenettes, if that's what you're after, and for well under $200/night.

On Oahu you can rent a car for the full time, or just a few days, or it is even possible to get by without one by using public transportation, taxis, tours, on foot.

suze

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation for 8 Nights Waikiki or split with elsewhere?

Not sure where you are looking for condo rentals. Check vrbo.com if you have not already done so. But even on vrbo, if the property owner or agent does not reply within a day or two, you should move on, because they don't really want your business!

One advantage of condo rentals is that many offer free parking which can be a great savings. For some people, not having daily maid service is a turnoff. Be aware that there is almost always a fee charged for post-visit cleaning.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,905 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation for 8 Nights Waikiki or split with elsewhere?

I'm confused. Are you staying both on the Big Island of Hawaii AND on Oahu?

Best lodging on Big Island is in the Kohala Coast area (NW). If you also want to view the volcano, plan an night in Volcano or Hilo. I'd try to fly into one side of this very big island and out of the opposite side to avoid driving across it twice.

You NEED a rental car everywhere outside of Honolulu proper.

You may need to enlist the aid of a vacation rental agency, coming so soon with no lodging set up yet.

On Oahu, you could stay both Waikiki and on the north shore; late March/early April should be OK up north. There are nice condos near the Turtle Bay Hilton.

Canterbury
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation for 8 Nights Waikiki or split with elsewhere?

Thank you everyone...I usually plan well ahead but been working long hours and wanted a break.

Interesting comments which I will work with...Yes 8 nights on Ohau and 2 HIlo area and 4 followiing suggestion of Kohala.

Now I understand why we have not had a response to e-mails and will get something booked tonight.

Next is reading all the posts about what to do such a choice!

Many thanks

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation for 8 Nights Waikiki or split with elsewhere?

We are planning on splitting our stay on Oahu into Waikiki and Turtle Bay, as I think it'll be nice to have some fun times in the "hustle and bustle" of Waikiki, and some relaxation on the remote North Shore. The advantage of being in Waikiki is that you're spoiled for options as far as dining, shopping, and nightlife, where as the North Shore has few options.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,422 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation for 8 Nights Waikiki or split with elsewhere?

If possible, I would flip those days.

I'd do 8 nights minimum on the Big Island, probably 9 (2 Hilo/Volcano - 7 Kohala Coast) and do the other 4 or 5 nights on Oahu, in Waikiki.

If it is not possible to flip and you are locked into 8 nights on Oahu, if you can split, that is great, but it is sometimes hard to get a condo less than 6 nights/7 days, especially not in Waikiki due to demand.

I've seen some people get a condo in the Turtle Bay area (not part of the hotel/cottages) at just under $200, but then you are most likely on the golf course, not beach.

http://www.turtlebaycondos.com/rates.html

8. Re: Accommodation for 8 Nights Waikiki or split with elsewhere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:20