We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luggage question

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Topic
luggage question

We are switching islands from Kauai to Big Island during our vacation. Since parents want to see USS Arizona, we have a long layover in Honolulu to do this. We come in on Island Air at 11:45 and out on Hawaiian at 6:30. My question is what to do with our luggage? We plan on traveling light with just carry-ons, but could we check them for that leg of the trip, or is that too long of a time span? I also heard something about a luggage storage company that works with the airport. Is that easy?

We planned to just take a cab or bus to USS Arizona, so didn't really want to lug bags along. However, if it easiest to do this I guess we could. However, there are 6 of us.

Thanks much for any advice!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: luggage question

You can use this company & take a cab to Pearl Harbor Visitors Center.

www.alohaairportdeliveryandstorage.com/

When?

You can get reserved tickets for USS Arizona Memorial.

www.recreation.gov/tourDetails.do…

Edited: 08 February 2014, 02:30
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: luggage question

You'll be arriving too early to check your luggage, even if you were wiling to pay the price (ouch!).

Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luggage question

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for your question, but I have another luggage question, so maybe the luggage experts can answer both of our questions.

We will be flying from Chicago to Oahu on United, and then to Maui on an inter-island flight on the same day.

Should we check our luggage all the way through to Maui? Or should just check our luggage to Oahu and then check them again to Maui, and will we have to go through security again? Thanks

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: luggage question

Check your luggage straight through if you can for two reasons.

1. You won't have to leave the secured area.

2. My understanding is that if you can get both flights on the same itinerary, you won't have to pay the luggage fee on the interisland flight. If the flights are on separate itineraries, you'll have to leave the secured area, get your luggage & re-check the luggage & go through security again.

And I think that is for Hawaiian Air. Not sure about the other airline companies.

I think I have it right. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,512 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: luggage question

Your big problem may be Island Air's habit of delaying flights. If you're unlucky you may not have time to do Pearl Harbor. Most here recommend flying interisland on Hawaiian Air.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 03:00
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: luggage question

Contact your airline to see how early you can check in. Last time I checked, American Airlines (as an example) allowed you to check in any time, day of flight, after their counter opened. Other airlines are only 4 hours before your flight.

portland, Or
Level Contributor
178 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: luggage question

I don't think you can take luggage or backpacks with you to pearl harbor, or at least not on the arizona tour. Check the nps website.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,502 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: luggage question

"I don't think you can take luggage or backpacks with you to pearl harbor, or at least not on the arizona tour."

You are partly correct.

But they can take luggage to the visitors center.

Then make a choice. Leave the luggage in the trunk of the car or use the checked luggage area for about $3/bag

albany, n.y.
Level Contributor
697 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: luggage question

Do not use Island Air, They are rarely on time. Change to Hawaiian and check your bags through. Then take a taxi to P.H. The cost is about $16.00. The bus for 4 passengers will be about $10.00. The cab ride is about 15 minutes, the bus is a lot longer. Also make sure you have a reservation., otherwise you might not get on a tour.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: luggage question

I agree with Dusty, response #8.