We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauau recommendations

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Lauau recommendations

Hi.

I am researching recommendations on attending a luau in Honolulu. We have heard that while entertaining, most of these venues have 200+ people at each dinner/show, and you stand for hours waiting on cold food. Anyone know of a smaller luau venue that still has a nice show attached. We are willing to pay extra to avoid huge crowds. Thanks, Kath

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauau recommendations

Hi, Kath ... welcome to TripAdvisor!

You may want to start by scrolling down the Oahu Forum for a month or so. Lots of posts about luau. I have to say that the major theme was "lukewarm" - or basically ambivalent.

I assume that you are staying on Waikiki. Take a look at this: Aha'aina at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. It may fit your criteria ... and you can call them about the size if you like. http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/dining/ahaaina/

If you plan to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center anyway, they have a luau option (maybe 2) before the evening show. No alcohol. Food is mediocre. Wonderful entertainment.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauau recommendations

I would really recommend Chief's Luau which is held at Sea Life Park. We have been to the luau at PCC and imo the entertainment at Chief's Luau is better. It is a more intimate setting with beautiful views, and whilst the food is nothing to write home about, there should be something to suit everyone's tastes. They call people up in sections (dependant on ticket price) so there is not a mad rush for food, and it stays pretty warm (considering it is outside and the sun will have set by then) in buffet trays. But the entertainment really is second to none. :-)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,777 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauau recommendations

My recommendations are the same as BLBL.

Aha'aina at Royal Hawaiian Hotel as it will be the least crowded and best food.

Or bite the bullet & spend the day & evening at PCC because they have the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii. You won't have to stand in line long for the food at any of the dining choices.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauau recommendations

I've been to numerous luau and never did I stand in line for hours and get cold food at any of them. Large crowd, yes, but they all run them basically the same way. They call each section or table up when it's time for the meal.

The prime rib dinner I had at the Polynesian Cultural Center was actually good!! The entertainment there won't be beat.

Kansas
Level Contributor
201 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lauau recommendations

We've done Aha'aina at Royal Hawaiian 3 times over the years. Love it. Going again in July. Check out the website. It's expensive, but if you want a menu, waited table service, linens, china, a good show, on the RH's beautiful Ocean Lawn as the sun sets. It might be worth it to you.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,981 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lauau recommendations

Kath L - someone is giving you some bad information.

As fishdiva said, you don't stand in line for hours for cold food. They have things pretty well organized and, like any other buffet, they have food warmers and bring out new food throughout the serving times. So, someone is giving you a bad exaggeration of the real situation.

But, as Dusty said, the most exclusive and smallest luau is going to be the Royal Hawaiian. But, I think it is only on one night a week, and considerable more expensive than some of the others.

Luaus are really not about the food anyway. It's much more about the experience and everyone should go at least once.

7. Re: Lauau recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:20