We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

New Zealand
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

My husband and I are planning an 8 night trip to Oahu in June. Our son will be travelling with us and will be almost 3. We can get a 1 bedroom condo at Illiki Marina or an oceanview room at the HHV for a similar price. A condo at the Equus is considerably cheaper.

Having cooking facilities in a condo would be helpful for breakfast, but we like the pools and lagoon at the Hilton for our son. Our son is too big for a stroller and doesn't like walking very far. When we want to explore the other end of Waikiki beach we were planning on using the bus.

If we were to stay at the Illiki is it going to be much of a hassle to get to the lagoon/beach at the Hilton? If we ended up with a room in the Kalia tower at the HHV is the walk going to be just as far?

Thanks for your help. We need to book somewhere but we are stuck.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

We've stayed at a condo at the Ilikai (not the Ilikai Marina) but the Ilikai Hotel and suites located at 1777 Ala Moana. We rented it through vrbo.com and it was very reasonably priced. It was spacious, had a fabulous view and was about a three minute walk from the Hilton Lagoon.

We also stayed at the Equus (marina tower). Suffice it to say the view was non existent, the condo small and very dirty and the reception staff surly. Blecch - never again!

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

The HHV is a resort property hotel room as you noted, while the Ilikai is a condo property that has survived some troubles (mostly financial) in recent years while hideous on the outside is a pretty respectable on the inside. A good value for Waikiki, but it is still further to the beach than any of the buildings at the Hilton. It's always nice to have a condo with kids, but you give up resort amenities.

So this was no help, lol. Good luck.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,548 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

How about Waikiki Shore -- a condo ON the beach, with a big park on one side? In a condo you can still feel 'on vacation' when a child naps or has early bedtime. In a hotel room...not so much! I hate 'eating out' for every meal, especially with a child. (I can trash the uneaten sandwich I made in a condo kitchen with less remorse.)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,716 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

Actually, it is a slightly shorter distance from the Ilikai elevator lobby to the beach at the lagoon (about 200 meters) than from the elevator lobbies of either the Kalia (about 300 meters) or Tapa (250+ meters) Towers at HHV....

Plus, from the Ilikai it's a straight shot on an un-crowded fly-over walkway versus meandering through the grounds and patrons of the HHV.

Just to make sure, I will walk and time each of them this week.

Also, the financial problems at the Ilikai complex were associated with the hotel components, not the individually-owned condo units, and things have long since been resolved and are operating nicely.

Avoid the Equus like the plague.

Remember the saying, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

Edited: 11 February 2014, 23:59
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

Ilikai or Kalia Tower is fine, ixsnay on the Equus.

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

You can use the lagoon at the Hilton even if you are staying at the Ilikai. The lagoon is totally accessible to the public. It's only a few minutes walk to get to it from the Ilikai.

I've stayed at the Ilikai twice (am here right now!) and I love it here. The room is big, nice full kitchen area and large clean bathroom. The bathroom however does not have a bathtub, but has a nice big shower. Just thought with a small child maybe a bathtub is important to you. So you might want to check for yourself if any of the rooms have a tub.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

Thanks for the advice. I will look into Waikiki shores. A condo right by the beach sounds good.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

Would there be anywhere to store our bags at Illiki marina condos? Our flight home doesnt leave until 11 pm

Just to confuse things, for $500 NZ more over 8 nights we can get an ocean front room in the rainbow tower at HHV.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

Lots of good info here... I was referring to the non-lagoon beach but same would probably apply, do report back on those numbers Amberloo I'm curious now too. That walkway does speed things along. :) Lagoon is a good place for the little guy to play.

Shores ins't too fancy, but the location is very good and right on the beach. Enjoy whatever you decide.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Illiki Marina condo vs Hilton Hawaiian Village

This should help with some of your Ilikai questions... keep in mind the two different properties.

marinahawaiivacations.com/frequently-asked-q…