We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in the North Shore

Berrien Springs
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in the North Shore

Hello, My husband and I are on our first trip to Oahu this Spring Break. We are staying for 10 days. I am beyond excited!

We decided to stay in a place that will not be too touristy, and enjoy the calm. We booked a place through AIRBNB in Haleiwa. Now looking at the map, we see that it is very far from everything. However, since we want to enjoy mostly the calm and explore on our own I think it should be good.

What do you think about staying in the North shore for the first time visit to Hawaii? Will it be hard getting around? BTW, We rented a car for the week.

Also, what are some things to do around the North Shore?

Thank you!

Edited: 11 February 2014, 15:55
Dallas
Level Contributor
23,050 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in the North Shore

It is not what I would recommend. If I did not want to go to Waikiki, then I would go to Maui instead.

North Shore just does not have much to do, and for most of the restaurants and shopping, you are going to have to drive into Honolulu and pay for expensive parking. If you are happy with not doing those things then you might be all right.

Maui is not nearly so "active" as Waikiki, but still has some areas such as Lahaina that you can drive to close by for some restaurants and shopping.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,200 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in the North Shore

Well everyone's different. I wouldn't want to stay so far away from "everything" and have to do so much driving to get anywhere of interest. But no, it's not "hard to get around". The island is not all that large and there aren't all that many roads. Wouldn't have been my pick, but sounds like you have your reasons for wanting to try it out.

suze

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in the North Shore

What is it that you want to do? If you want restaurants and shopping you are far from Honolulu which has those things in abundance. If you want peace and quiet and less crowded beaches the North shore is a good choice.

I knid of agree with placebets, though. If this is a first and only trip maybe Oahu is not the right island for the kind of trip you have in mind.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in the North Shore

When is your spring break?

Things to do on the north shore? skydiving, canoeing, sup, surfing, kayaks, swimming, snorkeling, hiking, horseback riding, bicycling not to mention the tons of different beaches you can go to. Haleiwa is full of restaurants, want a few more? Head down to Pupukea, more? Go down to the shrimp trucks in Kahuku. More restaurants on the north shore than you will have time to go to!!

I love to shop in Haleiwa but you won't find any large malls etc. Just nice little local shops.

I also love Waikiki, you might want to try and split your time, say 7 nights north shore, 3 nights Waikiki.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,050 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in the North Shore

Well I certainly have to defer to fishdiva on things to do on the North Shore. At our age, things to do are more about shopping, restaurants, people watching and catamaran rides. We are well beyond the skydiving, snorkeling, horseback riding age so I tend to not think about those things.

So, if you are into the kinds of things that she recommends, you might be in the perfect place. I would listen to her advice and use that to judge whether or not that is the right place for you.

Aloha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in the North Shore

placebets, the dh did his first skydive at 59!! He went with a friend of mine thats was visiting from the mainland on her 60th birthday.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,050 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in the North Shore

fishdiva - I haven't been 59 for some time now. Also, I'm a licensed private pilot and vowed to never jump out of an airplane if the engine is still running and the wings are attached.

And, by the way, I noticed you didn't say my hubby and I took our first jump at 59. Why didn't you jump with him ?? LOL

Now, happy hour mai-tai's at the Shore Bird.....that's my idea of fun and adventure !!

Edited: 11 February 2014, 19:12
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in the North Shore

Welcome to TripAdvisor, ilarrotta! You are from Michigan, yes?

Remember to always count your nights, not your days.

I am concerned that you have booked a place on the North Shore - but you don't know why. You don't know what to do there. Yet you have committed your stay to that area.

You have deemed other parts of Oahu to be "touristy," yet you have never been to Oahu? Do you mean "developed?" The vast, vast majority of accomodations are on Waikiki Beach. '

If you want to enjoy the restaurants, shopping, and cultural events, historical sites and wonders of Honolulu ... Haleiwa is not at all handy. And traffic at certain times of the day can be nasty. It's easily an hour or more to Honolulu.

If you stay on the North Shore, you will want to explore the Windward side of the Island as well.

You can have a perfectly wonderful vacation in Haleiwa! It all depends on what you want to do ... and what your expectations are.

Do you have a good map of Oahu? The North Shore? A good travel guidebook or two for Oahu?

I do somewhat agree that you may prefer Maui - especially if you want to snorkel. You may be too late to snag accomodations and a car, though.

Or think about this: Since you have 9 (?) nights - why not use 5 or 6 for the North Shore and spend the balance of the nights on Waikiki?

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,200 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in the North Shore

When you choose "a place that will not be too touristy" you need to realize that means also you lose most of the tourist amenities that makes Waikiki/Honolulu such an easy low-key place to vacation. The ease and availability of everything you need.

Berrien Springs
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in the North Shore

Thank you for your replies! We are a couple in our mid 20s. However, we are looking more into Hiking, outdoors, exploring than shopping and restaurants.

Yes, going from Michigan, and so excited to finally get some warm weather. Based on the comments we have decided to stay 4 nights in Haleiwa and the rest in Waikiki.

Thank you all!