We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
158 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

I've stayed once at the Sheraton--room was ocean view and very comfortable but rest of hotel seemed stressful--lots of people rushing around and not the friendly Hawaii vibe I get on the other islands.

Any other ideas? I want to be able to meet people and not be isolated in a condo somewhere. Prefer on the beach.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

www.breakers-hawaii.com

Old school gem. Lots of aloha. About a block to the beach though. Many repeat visitors, nice people.

Read through this thread....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k706699…

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
158 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

thanks for the suggestion but although Breakers may have more Aloha I do want to see the ocean and have a more modern/comfy room. I also do not want to be in an older building that may not insulate against the city noises. What is HHV like?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

Well the on the beach requirement knocked out a good many properties. If you have the budget for the Sheraton, why not try the Royal Hawaiian or Moana Surfrider this time? Of course you would need to request a newer tower due to your other requirement, but the Royal Hawaiian should be quiet at least. Otherwise I would say one of the Outriggers. I wouldn't recommend the HHV for you, and not because I don't like it since I actually recommended it to my parents, but because it is very large and crowded with a lot of conventioners and families, so I didn't really pick up on the vibe that you are also seeking.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,954 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

>>> I want to be able to meet people and not be isolated in a condo somewhere<<<

The Breakers is exactly what you asked for. There is not a better hotel in Waikiki to meet people and connect.

Hilton Hawaiian Village is the 17th largest hotel in the world and a lot like the Sheraton. Would not be in the mix for me.

On the beach I'd look at the Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki in that order.

At the Moana you'll bump into people who vacation there every year and around the small pool are very friendly, ditto for the Reef. The Outrigger Waikiki seems to be more buzzy and less friendly (guests, not staff, staff is still great).

Virginia
Level Contributor
677 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

For me, the difference between the area where the Sheraton is and the HHV would be that though HHV is busy and large--it actually does have a relaxing, Hawaiian vibe to it for me. I think for me it is because it is a resort complex, and there is so much you can do right there that it doesn't feel busy or crowded. I feel differently in more central Waikiki--that always seems to have a rushed, city feel to me, and I think it is because you have many people from many different hotels congregated in the same area.

I am just throwing that out there, because for some HHV doesn't have the same crowded feel as the area where the Sheraton is. But, that said, I can't say whether it would be too busy for you--it could be. Just keep in mind that end of the beach has a different vibe to it altogether, IMO.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

Our favorite on the beach hotel is the Moana Surfrider. For the best rooms ask to be in the tower.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

I stayed at Park Shore on a solo trip, and am planning to again in May. It is down the quieter, Diamond Head, end of Waikiki but close enough to walk to the action. Not expensive but lovely, comfy rooms after they did their renovations. There are other, more expensive hotels in the area too. Is right across from Waikiki Beach and close to where Coach tours and trolleys pick up, not far from bus stops. I don't plan on meeting people in the hotel, activities are better for that. I once met a lovely family on a catamaran sail, who invited me to dinner, and lovely people whilst going on tours. The bar at Duke's etc might also be good, haven't tried yet.

Have a great time, I am 43 and really enjoyed travelling alone in Hawaii.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 23:57
Seattle
Level Contributor
44,555 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

Look at a map. There are only 7 hotels (plus Hale Koa military hotel makes 8) that are actually right ON Waikiki beach. If you subtract the Sheraton that leaves only... HHV, Outrigger Reef, Royal Hawaiian, Halekulani, Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Waikiki. Very short list to choose from.

suze

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

Do you mean right on the beach, or across the road with beach views? There are lots of hotels that are across the road from beach.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel or resort on Waikiki for 40-ish single female?

AussieFi_11, I'm another solo traveler and I'm also booked at the Park Shore Waikiki in May, prior to a cruise. It will be my first time in Hawaii. Any advice about the hotel, local dining, etc.?