We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

I am planning a last minute trip to Hawaii in April. (My husbands owns a business everything is planned last minute;) I was on beachdestination.com and they had a great website that would plan flights and hotels. The package I was looking at was Oahu and Kauai 6 nights 3 on Oahu 3 on Kauai. I have been to Maui for my honeymoon 14 years ago and are biggest regret was not going to another island. I am starting to think splitting our time would be better, 3 nights Waikiki and 3 nights at Turtle Bay resort to relax. We really want to see Waikiki, pearl harbor and then relax and explore the other parts of the island. Is this better than going to Kauai? I am thinking of the Hilton Hawaii village resort in Waikiki just cause it is so iconic, but worry it will be so big. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,058 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

I think most people would tell you that is rushed, but it is doable.

Have you compared costs and options of booking your own flights and hotels? There is really no need to use a 3rd party to do this.

What price are you getting, and what hotels are they going to book you at?

I have seen complaints about this company on some of the forum sites on TA so, better check them out real good.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

Thanks I will check that out. I think I could do it myself and will see the problem I have is finding a good flight. The cost is very good and you can pick through a list of hotels and room types, but it does make me nervous trusting an internet travel agent. Thanks

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

How many people are traveling? Is this a family trip or just you and your husband?

Are you planning to go around Easter? That can drive prices up.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,058 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

I would just be sure to check out the hotels you are considering before you book anything.

The problem is that if you book through 3rd parties, you are usually "out of luck" if any changes are needed. I have seen some posts that say the hotels will not give you the same treatment as far as room locations and advantages as you do when you book directly with the hotel.

The other think I would tell you is that Turtle Bay is kind of off by itself. You will have to have a car to stay there the whole time, and not as accessible to restaurants and shopping as in Waikiki.

If you have specific questions about hotels, etc. then come back and ask. Lots of nice people on here that are willing to help you with questions.

Aloha

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,848 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

I think it is too rushed to island hop in 7 nights total.

I also would not call the Hilton Hawaiian Village "iconic". The Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider and to a lesser extent, Halekulani are iconic. The HHV is the 17th largest hotel in the world and depending on the time of the year can be very crowded with conference goers and at other time with families.

On your first trip to Oahu I'd be more inclined to stay in Waikiki the whole time, get a car and explore Ko'Olina, Kahala, Punalu'u and Turtle Bay one day or two to see what the other parts of the island are like.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

It is just me and my husband and it is early April 2-8 we are flexible.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

I honestly feel that you will have s more enjoyable vacation just staying on Oahu and mixing fun exploring and activities with relaxation. It will give you a chance to grab ahold of dome precious island time instead of uprooting yourself and spending time at the airport. I always book direct and feel confidant my concerns will treated with more regard than booking third party. It has proven true in the past. Deb

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

We fly Chicago-Hawaii most winters. I look for the shortest travel day and a widebody aircraft for one long leg. I avoid west coast connections and the 757's usually associated with those routes. We use AA for ORD-DFW-HNL (or OGG).

One week = One island. I agree with MsFuzz about the real 'iconic' hotels of Waikiki. You could do a night or two up at Turtle Bay. Go for the location. The food is 'meh' and there's nothing else there, but it is a lovely spot. It's a taste of something different from Honolulu without leaving Oahu.

You could also just press on to a different island when you arrive HNL. We do this, going to Maui and coming home from there. If you'll have checked luggage, you'll want all flights on a single ticket to avoid claiming and re-checking bags at HNL. You'd allow about two hours at the airport between flights.

So...what sort of vacation do you want? Buzzy Waikiki? Roll-up-the-streets-at-night Kauai? Maybe stay somewhere new on Maui?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,358 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

IMHO, trying to do 2 islands with just 6 nights is a little crazy. Your interisland switch is going to eat up about a half day. Better to stay on one island and stay in two places if you must change.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is two island and 7 days too rushed? Where to stay?

Many people here have reported they've done a Waikiki and North Shore split and enjoyed it, and almost everyone suggests that trying to hop islands with only 7 nights is not advised.

Keep in mind that sites like beachdestinations.com don't have access to anything you don't as far as flights and hotels. You can usually get the same hotels they have for cheaper if you do a bit of research and book directly. I looked into using their sister site, europeandestinations.com for a London/Paris trip and it worked out way cheaper, with better options when I booked on my own.

As far as hotels, there's a divide on this forum about the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Many love it, many detest it. The people that don't like it say it's too big and crowded, and it's down the beach from the "hub" of Waikiki. It's really up to you to determine if it's what you want.

This site is a great tool to see how they are laid out on the beach, and gives an aerial shot of each hotel www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html# I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to the hotel reviews though.