We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Cost for Pearl harbor

Avondale, Arizona
4 posts
Save Topic
Tour Cost for Pearl harbor

I have a book that says pearl harbor is free to see but then web sites that say there is a charge......

also

when is the best day to visit pearl harbor we will be in hawaii for 7 days.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Cost for Pearl harbor

Pearl Harbor is free. The Arizona Memorial is free. The Pacific Air Museum has a charge. Other parts of the Harbor constellation may have charges as well.

So walking in the "door" will cost you nothing. If you want to be ferried out to the Arizona Memorial, it is best to book a slot/ticket on line in advance (far in advance) to assure that they have a space for you. There is a nominal fee.

Beware of travel guidebooks. Some of them are great - but it impossible for them to keep up to date with changes. If you look to the right of this screen, you'll see "Top Questions." One of them focuses on Pearl Harbor.

You do not need a commercial tour of Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor is a National Park, and only National Park employees and their affiliates provide the various tours. Commercial (bus-type) tours are merely transportation, and they rush you in and out. You can take the public bus to Pearl Harbor or drive. There is a commercial shuttle (transportation only) as well. Cabs to Pearl Harbor are expensive.

Feel free to get back to us with more questions.

Avondale, Arizona
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Cost for Pearl harbor

what is the web address to book a slot for Arizona Memorial

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,137 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Cost for Pearl harbor

recreation.gov

calgary
Level Contributor
16 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Cost for Pearl harbor

The audio tour is sold out on recreation.gov for the dates we will be there(actually all their tours are on that site) I am wondering if it is better to book an expensive commercial tour or just show up super early and try to get a walk in ticket. Or do you miss a lot not getting out to the Arizona memorial (I am assuming this is one of the most important parts of the visit?)

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,137 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Cost for Pearl harbor

Actually a pretty small % of the tickets are sold on line ahead of time. I have not heard many people on here say that they got here early and could not get tickets, so that would be my approach. In fact, I think I can recall more posts saying that they didn't get there until later in the morning and were still able to get tickets to the Arizona.

The Arizona Memorial is definitely the centerpiece of Pearl Harbor, but it is visible from the shoreline, and there are many other memorials there as well. There is also a good little museum that you can look at and learn much about the event.

Also, you might want to tour the USS Bowfin submarine, and the USS Missouri battleship. They are interesting if you have never been on one of those type of ships before.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 21:39
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Cost for Pearl harbor

When are you going, xmas?

7. Re: Tour Cost for Pearl harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:20