We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

This was my fourth trip to Oahu, my husbands second and our friends first.

We stayed at the Imperial Waikiki in Lewers St, the only place I've ever stayed and wouldn't stay anywhere else! 16 days- I love Hawaii!!!

We flew Hawaiian Airlines, its a night flight so arrive in Honolulu early around 8:30am.

Waiting outside with a big ALOHA! is Charlie, from Charlie's Tours Hawaii. By far the BEST money spent! We met Charlie by chance in 2011 at the Aloha Stadium! 2 years on and not only have we had many holiday's experiencing his tour but friends and Family using his tour! Charlie has an amazing knowledge of Hawaii and it it like your travelling with an extra friend when you are with him. As its nice and early we are taken on a tour of Waikiki and then dropped at our hotel.

Day 1-

Spent on the beach and dinner at the Cheesecake Factory - FANTASTIC! only downside is it's a long wait but worth it

Day 2 -

Spent at Alamoana Shopping Centre, we get the bus on Kalia Rd for $2.50 and the Trolly back for $2. If its a long day shopping a taxi costs approx $15. Dinner that night at Denny's which is right next door to our hotel in Lewers St.

Day 3 -

Spent with Charlie from Charlies Tours. We made contact via Facebook and told Charlie what we wanted to see, First stop was the Dole Pineapple Plantation ( Ok experience but you could miss this If you wanted) The drive through the lush pineapple fields on either side of the road is beautiful. Before long we hot the north shore. Sunset Beach and Turtle Bay where we see at least 5 Turtles! Then on to Kailua for a swim and some relax time! We also stop at Whole foods in Kailua ( a very large wholefoods supermarket for a drink and a snack) Lunchtime at Giovanni's Shrimp truck. BEST SHRIMP EVER and the corn from Charlie's Cousin FANTASTIC. Where Charlie takes you is like a farmers Market where there is all local produce with different vendors but these two are a must! Back to turtle Bay resort for another swim! On our way back to Waikiki we stop at the best beach in Oahu Secrets/ Lanakai. It is so beautiful and the water is so clear and warm. By the time we reached Waikiki again it is dinner time. So we got ready and back out to Dukes for dinner.

Day 4-

Today we explored Kalakaua Ave and found Ross dress for less at seaside ave. What a find!! Give yourself a few hours, it has everything! Back to the beach for a swim and dinner at Cheeseburger beach walk.

Day 5-

Wailkele Premium Outlet. We caught PG Plover Shuttle Bus. $15 return trip, a MUST days shopping!

Swim when we got back and dinner at Kani ka pila grille at Outrigger reef on Beach, Kalia Rd.

Day 6 -

Beach Day

Day 7-

Another half day with Charlie, we went to Haliewa on North Shore and had a walk around. Had shaved ice at Matsumotos. Drove through Kaneohe. Heading back to Waikiki to pick up another couple and had a late lunch at a local farmers Market. Traditional Hawaiian food! GREAT EXPERIENCE!

That night went out to 5.0 Bar at Royal Hawaiian shopping centre. Lava flows all night!!

Day 8-

Back to Alamoana and Walmart, Ross dress for less and Macy's. Shop Shop Shop!!!

Day 9-

Beach Day. Dinner at the Oceanarium at the Pacific beach hotel in Kalakaua Ave. A must if you like seaford, approx $50 well worth it!

Day 10-

Caught bus to explore Down town Honolulu, saw King Kamehameha Statue and enjoyed the city.

Day 11-

Beach, dinner at Dennys'.

Day 12-

Aloha Stadium flea market. Caught Bus, long ride, got shuttle back $5 each person.

Lots of clothes, food, souvienerss and Ukuelele. Dinner Cheesecake Factory, great cocktails for $10.

Day 13-

Beach day. Dinner at Tsukiji Fish Market at Alamoana shopping Centre. Tsukiji is like Tapas but Hawaiian style.

Day 14-

Hired a car and drove around the island again. Great experience and organised through Concierge.

Day15-

Beach Day

Day 16-

Last of our shopping at Alamoana and last swim at beach. Dinner at Ocean house at Outrigger on the Reef.

Day 17-

Last morning, went to Ross' dress for less to buy more Bags!! Started with 4 bags and left with 6 bags and carry on! Charlie picked us up on time to make our afternoon flight and home.

* Best food Experience- Cheesecake Factory and Giovanni's Shrimp Truck

*Best Shopping - ALL!!

*Best Experience - Charlies Tours Hawaii!!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha Stadium
Aloha Stadium
213 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,021 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Kaneohe
Kaneohe
Oahu, HI
King Kamehameha Statue
King Kamehameha Statue
1,266 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
107 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,241 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

Sounds like you had a great trip, mahalo for the trip report!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,245 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

Yes, thanks so much for the report. Sounds like you had a wonderful time of exploring and shopping!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

Thanks for your great report! Sounds like a fabulous trip. We love Charlie too!! He is the best! I'm really pleased that his name is getting out there for his tours. It's a great alternative to be driven around by a local if you don't want to drive yourself - particularly Aussies like me who don't do well driving on the opposite side of the road. I agree that the Cheesecake factory is worth the long wait time. It's our favourite.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

Sounds like you had a fabulous trip. Wetting my appetite for May.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,883 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

Aloha,

Mahalo for the TR.

I'm glad to hear you had such a fabulous time on Oahu.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

Hi there loved your report and I am going over next month can't wait!!! Could you please give me Charlie's contact details. Thanks in advance!

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

Contac charlie

On facebook Charlies tours Hawaii

He is fantastic really cant say enough about him

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
873 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

I contacted Charlie and got a price from him, I guess it was the right Charlie, and $240 for two people for a day for a tour (not a full 8 hour day though) isn't my idea of a good deal. We are going to hire a car and have a look around ourselves.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

Ive booked charlie as a pick up from airport 2x tours and drop off again at airport at end of trip.

We have also hired a car and driven ourselves.

Found more relaxing being driven by someone else though and its much better than getting on and off a bus tour.

You will have a great time however you do it....Hawaii is Beautiful and the beaches are great.

Have fun.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,886 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping, Eating/ PrivateTour Guide

Ummm............."greatlocal" aka Dianne??! This just doesn't ring right to me. It sounds like you were answering "KazAllen" but as if you were Dianne? Or do you have multiple screen names, Charlie?