We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

We are going to Oahu in May for 9 days (staying at the Hale Koa). My parents are concerned that we will be away from her too long. I've been debating taking her with us. I think she would love the water and I think we can just wear her if we want to hike and do the active things outside. I do worry about the travel and time change for such a short period of time.

We are going for our 5th anniversary. Husband is starting a new assignment and will not have much time off the next few years and will be gone a lot. We've been wanting to go for a while, so this is a good opportunity to go.

Hopefully it doesnt sound bad, but I'm not sure if she will be so fussy/irritable because of the disruption in sleep or if she will surprise us with her flexibility. I'm just wondering what other experiences people have had. Would you take them or let them stay with grandparents?

Virginia
Level Contributor
667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

In my experience, children seem to do well with the adjustment because of their ability to sleep fairly easily. Even if they sleep some on the plane, they tend to also be able to sleep "at night". In our case, our son was 4 when we went last fall, so a little older, but he did fine. We travelled for a very long time all day long through the time change, and got to Hawaii in early evening. He had napped on one of the plane rides, but still slept fine that night when we all went to bed.

We all woke up excited and raring to go in the morning. We adjusted to the time change on the way there quite easily. It is the way home where everyone gets way more tired for a few days! You lose time, so you don't get much sleep, and then you get home and it all catches up to you. But the trip is worth it.

So, yes, I think the time change can be fine for children, and now it is just up to you to decide whether you want a kid free holiday or want your child with you :-)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

You will get many opinions, and while there is nothing wrong with a child free vacation, we always took ours and treasured the family time. My experience with long travel times and young children was that our two handled it just fine. I was prepared with plenty to do and lots of snacks. If I channeled patient, the kids seemed to follow my vibe.

You will have to measure whether you want the time alone or shared. Know that having the toddler will force a less busy, go go style trip but island time can honestly be most enjoyable. Be prepared for many different opinions on this subject.......Deb

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

She will handle it better than you guys do. Take her and enjoy seeing her splash around in the water etc.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,488 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

I wish my parents would have cared for our kids when they were little! Motherhood is an all-encompassing job. Your husband knows this and accepts it, but wouldn't that time devoted to the two of you as a couple be so fulfilling? And won't your child's life be fuller by knowing she's cared for by her extended family? I think an annual parent get-away is important.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

There are pros and cons to both. I think you and your husband need the alone time, given his new assignment and the fact that you won't be able to get away again any time soon. It can make a marriage stronger.

But at the same time, family time is important too. And you can have a blast with your child creating some awesome memories.

My concern is your parents. They are the ones that brought this up, and I am wondering if they are just uncomfortable having your daughter for that long if she does indeed miss you. I am hoping that you can talk honestly with them about any concerns they might have.

I remember taking care of my three nieces and nephews for my sister, all under 5 years old. Her and her husband took of for a much needed holiday for 5 days. We were all just fine, no issues whatsoever. It was when my sister returned home that the one year old started to cry, and cry and cry. We couldn't get her to stop. I finally left the house, thinking that she was just getting back at her mom!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,573 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

You know yourself and your child best - I couldn't have left my kids other than an overnighter, but that was me. I have also had some wonderful family vacations with them, though traveling with toddlers can be challenging at times - all depends on the kid. They all travel differently and I think the more you travel with them, the better they get at it.

Some mom's just can really vacation without their kids - that would be something for you to seriously consider - if you would be miserable without her, then bring her. But if you are fine and they are, then enjoy this time with your spouse. It could be a win/win. Best wishes!! :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

It sounds like the two of you need time away by yourselves for a little while.

I often see families with small children walking around waikiki and the children are often cranky and unhappy because they are hot, tired and away from their normal routines.

If your mother is happy to babysit then don't feel guilty about taking some time for yourselves.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

Julie, I just had a thought, and figured, what the heck, just throw it out there.

What are the chances that your parents would want to travel to Hawaii with you? You and your husband could still get some alone time that way. And the parents would have a blast building sandcastles on the beach too.

And I forgot to welcome you to Trip Advisor!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,573 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

JOan - excellent suggestion! They could either get a two bedroom condo OR two condos next to each other - that would be good. :)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we take toddler to Hawaii/time change adjustment

Way to think out of the box Joan. Clap clap! Deb