We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free on street parking

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
179 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Free on street parking

I am thinking of booking at the Waikiki Prince Hotel, Prince Edward Street, Honolulu for 5 nights. Is there a less expensive option than paying the $20 per day charge they ask? Maybe something overnight on the street. I am guessing the answer will be "no", but I will ask anyway.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,662 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Free on street parking

Aloha,

You could get lucky and find street parking, but it's kind of a hassle and you have to be sure to move the car or pay when the meter time starts in the mornings.

There's a Top Question on parking alternatives. See the upper right corner of this page.

Aloha

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,662 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Free on street parking

Aloha,

Here's a link to it:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28932-c146689/Hawaii…

Some of the rates may have changed since the information was written. So doublecheck.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
179 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free on street parking

OK, thanks. I will probably just pay the hotel rate, which is on par with other hotels in the area, and less than some of the others . Alternatively, I am also considering Breakers Hotel, partly because of good reviews here, but also because of it's location. Of course, I may only hire a car for a short period and instead use public transport as much as possible. Could be a lot easier than driving for "local" places.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,723 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free on street parking

The Breakers is a really sweet hotel. I'd definitely recommend that!

That said, $20 is actually cheap for Waikiki hotel parking, so don't feel bad about that if you choose to go that route.

I've never rented a car myself. I get around (within Waikiki and Honolulu) just fine on foot, using The Bus, maybe an occasional taxi.

suze

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
179 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free on street parking

Hi Suze,

I love walking and I think Honolulu is a relatively safe city to walk in. I was thinking of a car to visit Pearl Harbor and USS Arizona though. I know there are tours with hotel pick-up's. It's just that I like to go at my own pace, and with a car I can move on to anwhere I please that is outside of Honolulu.

I just emailed The Breakers. No reply yet though. I am optimistic about getting a room there, after all my trip is still 10 months away! I am just getting started in putting this trip together so lots of time for further research on what to see and the logistics of getting around Ohau.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free on street parking

Take a look at the Waikiki Parc. Very close to the beach, great location, no resort fee ... and with a certain number of nights ... free parking.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,137 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free on street parking

dave9337 - I would recommend using the city bus for Pearl Harbor. It is very clean and reliablle, and cheap. It takes about an hour from Waikiki, and gives a chance to see a few things on the way. You can jump off on the way back if you want in Chinatown or other parts of Honolulu. And, you are on your own schedule and not a tour bus.

Rent a car if you want to get to other parts of the island to see the sights and the beautiful beaches around the island.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free on street parking

Driving or the bus is great for Pearl Harbor. Driving's a little quicker, and you can launch off to other parts of the Island from there if you want. The thing is ... Pearl Harbor is time-consuming if you really want to see all it has to offer.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,795 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Free on street parking

Rent a car the entire time. You'll be able to see much more of Oahu by renting a car the entire time.

As BLBL said, with a car, you can easily go from one attraction to another. By bus, you probably have to go back to downtown Honolulu, Ala Moana Center or Waikiki to transfer to another attraction.

By the time you pay for airport transportation, cabs, buses and a rental for a couple of days, you could have had the car the entire time.

If you only rent a car a day or two, you'll have 5 minute stops at beaches, vistas, etc. instead of spending quality time.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
179 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free on street parking

Thanks for the advice and tips. I'll think further on this.

By the way, I tried to book at Breakers but there is no availability around mid January 2015. Are they really full so far in advance or am I trying to book too far ahead?