We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a good luau

Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a good luau

I will be in Honolulu in August and am looking for a luau to go to. The cost doesn't really matter. I just want to find one that will be very entertaining for my 9 year old.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,332 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a good luau

Polynesian Cultural Center has the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii.

Norcross, Georgia
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a good luau

I would look into Chiefs Luau instead. I have been trying to plan my trip and everyone complained food at polynesian was bad.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,030 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a good luau

Generally speaking the commercial luau on Oahu are mediocre. Cheesy, so so food, expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to take a 9 year old for a day at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Just get a package that has the island or prime rib buffet. I've gone there twice in the last couple of years and the food was better than average.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,086 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a good luau

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Sarah!

Your question is a common one, so consider scrolling down through the Oahu Forum and doing some reading.

Personally, I'd go to the Polynesian Cultural Center. It's an all-day event, ending with an evening show (after the luau or other dinner) that a nine-year old boy would enjoy. They also have pick-up/drop off at your hotel ... and you'll get to see other parts of the Island as well.

As fish diva said, we rarely hear from folks who are excited about luau ... although it's common for first-time visitors to go to one. My second choice would be Paradise Cove luau in Ko'Olina ... another situation that includes transportation, and it is not on Waikiki.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a good luau

I recommend Chief's Luau. Have a look at their website; they have fun activities to do before hand like spear throwing which he might find fun (not as dangerous as it sounds!). The food is so-so, but I think it is at most luaus. There were lots of kids of that age there when we went and they all seemed to really enjoy it. I much preferred it to the luau at PCC, as a stand-alone thing to do. I think the best thing at PCC is the evening show so it would be a shame to spend the day there and not see it, but that would be a very long day for a 9 yr old.

6. Re: Looking for a good luau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 06:17