We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How formal?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How formal?

Hi everyone

My 4 year old is traveling with us in June

I'm looking at places for dinner knowing I need to make reservations before leaving home to ensure we get to check out the places I've read so much about. So my question is places like Dukes, Hula Grill, house without a key etc are ok for kids right? She is as good as any other traveling child, out of routine and on a complete new time schedule but she's happy to sit and eat, use her manners etc.

sometimes we take iPad etc out with us to amuse her, these type of places aren't to formal for 4 year olds are they? I'm thinking 5.30-6pm dinner times.

Thanks

Virginia
Level Contributor
682 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How formal?

Any restaurant we went to in Oahu was just fine for kids (my son was 4 then too).... and we typically did earlier dinner times as you did. I think the places you mention above should be fine, but I haven't been to all of them, so I am sure someone else can be more specific.

Even at home, we sometimes take our son to very nice restaurants.... we just try to do the earlier times and reiterate being respectful to other diners, etc.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,587 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How formal?

I agree with Herky5. It just won't be a problem in any of the places you have mentioned, and not in most places you might want to go. I have been to all you have mentioned and there were kids in all of them.

Since you mention Dukes and Hula Grill, I'm guessing you are either staying in the Outrigger Waikiki or plan on visiting it. We really prefer Chuck's Steakhouse which is a little hidden but is right next to the Hula Grill on the second floor. Get there a little early and get a fantastic view of the water and the beach. Great service and good food. We like to get there early to get a seat on the rail, happy hour mai-tai's and early bird specials which will help keep the cost down.

Hope you have a great trip. Don't worry about your 4 year old, he will be one of many.

Aloha

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How formal?

I think it will be OK, especially dining early in the evening like you mention. But know there are also loads of great places to eat that are more casual, if you start to feel you'd be more comfortable in less high-end setting.

suze

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How formal?

Where are you staying?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,815 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How formal?

Dukes, Hula Grill, Chucks all have kids all over the place. Wouldn't hesitate taking them and all are very informal. House Without a Key is a cut above but still a very nice place for families. There are very few restaurants in Waikiki that aren't family friendly.

6. Re: How formal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 04:23