We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

victoria
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

Credit card was charged a $50 cleaning fee subsequent to returning the car for "excessive sand". The car was inspected when I returned it and no mention of dirt or any problem. I know the car was not excessively dirty. According to the contract they can get away with this and you have no recourse but to sue them. Feel like I was ripped off.

The car was quite scuffed up with 68K miles and needed shocks so didn't feel particularly safe when floating down the highway.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,883 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

Welcome to tripadvisor and the Honolulu forum, grver. I'm sorry you were angry about this. I keep my eye on the forums and learned of this particular bit of rip-off from the Maui forum. I'm unfamiliar with this rental car company and tend to choose those from the big carriers, like Hertz, Enterprise, etc.

For others traveling to Hawaii, a great car rental booking site is:

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

I would start asking about the sand issue when I go to pick up the car, too, just to be certain that you don't miss it in the fine print. I think it's pretty stupid for the car companies to do this because there's always been sand and people and it feels to me like a new way of grabbing a buck or two from visitors. It's always been their jobs to vacuum and clean the cars, what's next - we have to return cars fully detailed?

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

You get what you pay for.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

I agree with Frank3. When you sign that contract, you are bound by it. Rip-off? Probably not according to the contract that you signed. Sorry, cheap is usually not the way to go!!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,804 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

Aloha,

We've had reports of some of the major rental chains imposing these "sand charges" too.

Have you discussed this with management?

Good luck.

Aloha and Welcome to TA.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,487 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

Kind of like a "resort fee" for the car rental companies !! Monkey see, monkey do !!

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

Good one, placebets.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,017 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

>>>We've had reports of some of the major rental chains imposing these "sand charges" too.<<<

I believe all the major rental car companies will charge an extra fee if you bring the car back real dirty - it's printed on Budget, Alamo & Avis contracts for sure:

from an Alamo contract - "Minimum $50 cleaning fee for cars returned with excessive sand, dirt, mud, trash or pet hair."

What "excessive" is could be argued...we always brush or vacuum the inside of the car - even gone through the gas station car wash if we got it extremely muddy. I would not leave a huge mess in a hotel room either........

Edited: 21 March 2014, 21:54
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,804 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

Aloha,

Yes, terms like "excessive" leaves plenty of room for discussion.

Take pictures.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

DO NOT RENT YOUR CAR FROM HERE - Honolulu Location!

This is a "Rent a Wreck" car rental agency. Management is very poor and there is NO customer service. The car they rented us was not registered, but was inspected. The inside of the car was FILTHY. Remember the saying....you only get what you pay for. The rental may be cheap, but in the long run, JUST AWFUL. Very poor customer service. It took close to 40 minutes for the agent to get the driver information and then deleted everything and had to start over again. These people are THIEVES. The cars are previous wrecks with some of the damage still noticeable. If you do not want your vacation ruined, DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY!

10. Re: Not Happy with Economy Rent a Car aka A-1 Rent a Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2015, 06:16