We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax Claim

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tax Claim

When I was in Greece I purchased a few expensive designer items and upon departure at the airport I took my receipts and got the tax back that I had paid put back onto my visa debit credit card I had purchased them on. Is this the same in hawaii? Thanks

Newark, New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tax Claim

Nope. Not so lucky.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tax Claim

That was probably a VAT tax where in the US you are just paying a Sales tax. See this question all the time for folks visiting NY.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,761 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tax Claim

Since there is no national tax (VAT), just state and local sales taxes, there are no refunds.

But it is good to know that HI sales tax is only 4% vs the roughly 8% in CA. That means if you buy a $1,000 hand bag at Gucci in Waikiki, you save $50 in taxes vs buying it in Los Angeles (9%).

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tax Claim

We used to get a refund on "whatever-taxes" for purchases made in Canada. That's been gone for a long time, now.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,899 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tax Claim

Hawaii doesn't have a "sales tax". We have a GET tax, general excise tax. Everything gets taxed like health care, groceries and rent!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tax Claim

... and resort fees and parking ... and hotel rooms and condo cleaning fees.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 17:12
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tax Claim

You can however, if shopping at macy's, get a 10% discount International visitor card. It might help a bit if you were after some good brands that are super exey back here.

www.visitmacysusa.com/visitor-savings-pass

8. Re: Tax Claim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 07:32